Anybody running retreads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody running retreads?

http://www.cycletires.com/ has them in the more common 17" sizes. I know I'd never run a BanDag retread on anything.

Steve

I did not believe it till I read it. Something just seems wrong with the idea.

Comment

While understanding that they are different breeds, I have seen far too many treads off truck tires lying on the road.

Trucks run with high pressures and have flat-faced treads, which run in al amost constant pattern while in use, as compared to a bike having rounded tread and being constantly used in changing patterns.

With only two tires under me, I would not even think of taking the risk.

Of course, there was something I read a few weeks ago about someone running his bike on a car tire.... :? :?
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Holy cow, I wouldn't trust my a$$ to anything less than a top of the line, brand new performance tire. Whatever it costs, get the best tires available.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

For what (very little) it's worth, there's actually a company out there that's been marketing retreads to the passenger truck market for several years now, and has a great reputation. High Tec Retreading tires are used by quite a few people in the 4-wheeling community, and I've not heard of any issues with tread separation, etc... since they came on the market, whether used off-road or on.

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
            For what (very little) it's worth, there's actually a company out there that's been marketing retreads to the passenger truck market for several years now, and has a great reputation. High Tec Retreading tires are used by quite a few people in the 4-wheeling community, and I've not heard of any issues with tread separation, etc... since they came on the market, whether used off-road or on.
            I personally use Hi-Tec Retreads on my Scout and love them, but on a bike, no thank you! If i lose a tread piece on my Scout at 70, I might blow the tire and have to pull off the side of the road, it I lose a tread on my bike at 70 I might be found lying in a ditch 40 yrds away and in a bleeding mass. Not a picture I like to have in my mind.

Comment

I agree completely. Just making the point that there are retreads out there that seem to be well built (but not enough to give me peace of mind when on two wheels).

Comment

The retreads you see flying off trucks are put on in a strip. I've heard of a process that puts them on in a band. This is probably how they do it. If so, then they can't 'fly off'.

I'm not into colored tires, so I won't buy them anyway.

Comment

When I was in High School and money was tight I put re-treads on.

I had one blow off doing 70 and tore up my rear quater panel. On a bike? I'd have been dead. Or close to it. No thanks.

I'm sure they've come a long way since then, but why chance it when you can get Cheng Shin tires for probably the same price.
                  I know these aren't top of the line tires, but I'd trust them more than re-treads.

Just my .02

Comment

tires

these tires are not retreads they are what would be recasts, a casing that is covered using a fomula rubber compond that is applied and then cured over the whole tire, not a glued on band that has been precured then applied, the only thing that to me is a real concern is they are recast over a Radial casing and not a bias case so for most of us they are of no use, and the savings is not that great

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                      Holy cow, I wouldn't trust my a$$ to anything less than a top of the line, brand new performance tire. Whatever it costs, get the best tires available.
                      Come on Jethro, it could save you 3 or 4 bucks per tire! Ain't that worth something?

Comment

Re: tires

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
                        these tires are not retreads they are what would be recasts, a casing that is covered using a fomula rubber compond that is applied and then cured over the whole tire, not a glued on band that has been precured then applied, the only thing that to me is a real concern is they are recast over a Radial casing and not a bias case so for most of us they are of no use, and the savings is not that great
                        I run all radials now. You are correct that the process is not the same one used for truck tires. Grouping all retreads together as unsafe is just as accurate as saying sime the model T tires would be unsafe at todays highway speeds, todays tires are also.

Personally, I'd run these before the Chen Shins (spelling may be off, but not my preferences). 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X