Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what parts do i need to re-seal my front forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what parts do i need to re-seal my front forks?

i dont know how many parts inside are replaced... my bike is leaking from the top of the front forks and i dont notice anywhere else on the forks evidence of a leak.

its a 80 gs850G

also, any special tools needed to do this or any basic tool set not dedicated to bikes will work?

thanks for any advice
    cya
    brad

If all other parts inside are good all you should need is a new set of seals. They are about 6 bucks on eBay. Of course this is also the perfect time to inspect everything else while you have it apart and you want to replace the fork oil as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
      If all other parts inside are good all you should need is a new set of seals. They are about 6 bucks on eBay. Of course this is also the perfect time to inspect everything else while you have it apart and you want to replace the fork oil as well.
      I would also consider the dust seals as well as the oil seals. They get hard and crack with age.

Definetly replace the fork oil, unless you like to do things more than once. 8)

Comment

If they're air assisted, don't forget to let off the pressure before attempting to dismantle them.

Comment

I'd replace the bushings as they can get damaged when pulling the forks apart. They're probably worn out as well.

Comment

The only tool you may need os the one to get the screw in the bottom of the fork to unscren. It's the same size as the outside of a 5/8 inch spark plug socket. You will need some extenders to reach to the bottom of the fork.

Search on this site for changing fork seals. There were some good posts

Comment

Working...
            X