GS850L scary handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is still interested...

I put new rubber on the rear - a Dunlop K491. It made a world of difference. The old tire was worn and very old and stiff. I had no idea it could make such a diffrence.

Thanks for the advice.

Ace.

Comment

I don't think the stock suspension of the 850GL is so bad. As a matter of fact, I like it. Personal preferences are a big factor here, I think.

The L model seems to hold a straight line very well. I've done 20 miles on the highway without ever touching the handlebars. I sometimes wonder why some folks buy a bike and then try to modify it into the bike they really want instead of just buying the bike they want from the start.

It's definitely true, however, that it's pretty darn important to have the suspension in good condition, including the tires. I really like the Dunlop GT 501s that I put on last summer. They made a big difference.

Comment

I remember reading an article about the L model a long time ago. The author had ridden both standard and L models, and concluded the L had better handling characteristics due to it's wider/smaller rear tire and increased rake/trail of the front end. He was a little suprised that a 'raked out' bike was more stable than the standard. 'Better' is subjective, but I think he meant stability at speed and around bends. I have never been on a standard model, so I really can't say.

Ace.

Comment

Hey guys, I gotta go with bwringer on this, but not because the stock suspension was bad in the first place (HOW COULD YOU EVEN THINK IT?) But because a suspension that is 23 years old is WORN OUT. Original shocks are junk after 23 years, the spring is gone from the springs. I too searched out the cause of unstable cornering and head shake and twitchy riding, looked at the swing arm bearings, chain and sprockets, adjust and aligned everything I could think of, new tires front and rear, none solved the issue. But putting a NEW OEM style set of shocks on the back and "BAM" whole difrent bike. I am replacing springs and seals an oil in front forks this weekend so as to have a NEW suspension (close enough for me anyway) and I don't even have to ride it yet to be able to say I know it will no longer have any of the prior issues. New shocks and springs and you too could have that new bike feel all for under $200 us funds.

Comment

It feels so much better with the new tire, I'm OK with the old shocks. The $200 is going toward pistons/rings - my compression readings are getting down there.

Comment

mine is like a new bike when i got rid of the stock ape hanger bars and put on lower ones it was like night and day in the handling department

Comment

Working...
              X