Easy Questions for any 1984 GS550 Owner. - Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy Questions for any 1984 GS550 Owner. - Petcock

Can anyone give me a correct answer for the petcock position on an 1984 GS550ES. I searched and couldn't find the answer. I have 3 positions. UP, Back toward tail, Down.

I ran out of gas while it was down. I hope that is the reserve.

Thanks.

You sure it's not forward, down and rearward? Most all GS petcocks are the same, except for the vacumm line. Forward is reserve, down is ON, rearward is prime (on all my GS's anyway).
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Most petcocks are steel or aluminum handles with the position markers cast in the handle itself. Yours has the funky plastic knob that has (or had) the indicators painted on it.

Jethro is right. If you turn the knob all the way forward (clockwise as you look at it fromt he side), you are on reserve. Turn it anti-clockwise 90 degrees (up and down) and you are on the normal fuel setting. Turn the knob another 90 degrees, you are at prime.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Please use my example

If you are looking at the knob, I am telling you that I have a 12:00, 3:00 and 6:00 positions. So what you are saying is that 6:00 is Reserve, 3:00 is prime and 12:00 is normal.

Is this correct? This would make sense considering I ran out at the 6:00 position.

Thanks.

Comment

My 80-850 is forward = reserve, down = normal, back = prime. And it is marked as such.

If yours is just rotated (?) counterclockwise, 12 = prime, 3 = normal, 6 = reserve.

schu

Comment

Thanks for trying

Forget it. I am going to do trial and error because knowone knows the the correct way for an 84 GS550ES. You are all guessing.

Comment

Re: Thanks for trying

Originally posted by BRON
              Forget it. I am going to do trial and error because knowone knows the the correct way for an 84 GS550ES. You are all guessing.
              I'm looking at my owner's manual right now. Your knob has a raised portion on one end, which is supposed to be the indicator arrow. When it points straight down, it's "on". When the knob is turned anti clockwise 90 degrees, it's in the "reserve" position. The raised part straight up is "prime".

Isn't the indication painted on your side panel? The plastic is molded so that there are raised letters, painted black indicating on, res, and pri. If you don't have the side panel anymore, or it's been sanded and painted, I guess you wouldn't have a clue other than by trial and error.

Suzuki used a standard petcock in '83 for this bike with a trapdoor, but changed to the external knob for the '84-86 versions. My bike has an '83 tank, petcock, and sidecovers on it, so it doesn't match yours anymore.

But the Owner's Manual never lies, and doesn't guess.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, that sounds more like my bike. Unfort, it was painted and sanded but I will try the trial and error method to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                X