Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high millage

when bying a used bike what is considered high millage. thanks

Now there is a loaded question. Depends on the bike, the year, the overall condition, etc. Personally, on bikes the age of ours the general condition and how it runs are way more important than the miles on the clock. I would prefer a bike with more miles that was well maintained to one that sat a lot and was neglected. There is nothing wrong with use, these things actually fare better with some use to keep the seals lubed and everything moving right. That didn't answer your question, did it?

On a big GS (I have an 1100E) I would consider anything over about 50,000 miles pretty high mileage. There, how's that for a quick and dirty answer?

Keep in mind there is at least one 1100E around here that has WAY over 100,000 miles on it (that would be Hap Call's, I think). They are somewhat stout and bulletproof if cared for.

Mark

Comment

About 20-25k miles on a well maintained bike would be about the max i would go for our bikes. Obviously newer bikes would be considerably less..

Comment

bought my 850 with 38000 km on it, and it was pretty much brand new (just a little broken in)

Comment

Keep in mind there is at least one 1100E around here that has WAY over 100,000 miles on it (that would be Hap Call's, I think).
          Hap's has so many miles he has lost count! But keep in mind he has torn that bike down and rebuilt the entire motor more than once.

Any bike can be brought up to like new again, no matter what the mileage. All it takes is a sleeve kit, some new pistons and rings, valves, valve springs and seals, cams and rocker arms, a gasket kit and about $100 in bearings.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

All the above except the 20 to 25k comment. Heck thats just getting broken in if it has been cared for

I am looking at possibly buying a GS right now with 52k on it and no major work ever done so it is all original. No concern whatsover but I will look at it first. These bikes will do well over 100k and beyond. You just maintain them and go. Fixing is low cost when compared to newer bikes or even cars.

Look at the Bike of the month right now. 109k on it.

It's totally subjective man. You have to weigh the value of each bike individually.

Rock on!

Comment

Working...
            X