Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficulty of 550 to 550 engine swap

Hey guys..

I got a 1980 gs550e that i am gonna swap a better engine into. It's a 1980 gs550l. Straight swap, everything off old bike, on new... Carbs/coils...etc

My question:

How long will this take me? Any major difficulties? Anything i should do while i have the engine out?

My dad and I are pretty good with a wrench, and i think we can do it in a weekend. Feasable?

Weekend? hell an hour would probally be long enough, so long as you have pod air filters. No need to swap carbs.... the engines are identical. The carbs are identical. A third person makes installing the engine worlds easier.

However, define a better engine? I have a 1980 gs550e as well.

Here's my advice. Take off the cam breather off. If you don't, you won't get the engine out. If you do, it's cake. :-)

This is coming from a guy who's done this in the last two weeks ;-)
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

The better engine being a much healthier engine that hasnt' been abused.

Anyone else done this swap have any tips/advice?

Thanks again!

Comment

buy a motorcylce jack, worth the 70 bucks.

Use a torque wrench on the bolts when assembling, you'll be glad you did.

I would use soup cans or such for the bolts so you know where they go. The bolts are sometimes location specific.

Air tools. that says it all. borrow them if you have to.

I would also take a few picture with a digital camera befoe you start, wires, hoses, etc, can be confusing when your tired and it's been a long day.

good luck
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

here's the process.

Put the bike on the centerstand.

Remove the tank.

Remove the carbs.

Remove the sprocket cover.

Undo the clutch cable.

Remove the exhaust.

Remove the brake pedal.

Remove the right side peg.

Remove the crankcase breather from the top of the valvecover. you'll need a 10mm socket for that. :-)

I'd reccomend removing the most difficult engine mounting bolt first. it is on the left side, and the bolt goes through a tab welded on the frame through a rib in the block casting, and atached to a bolt on the backside of that rib.

I put a box end wrench into the pocket to hold the nut in place so I could remove the bolt.

I then remove the right side mounting tab. I think I actually left it attached to the motor, and just undid the bolts that go through the frame. Don't hold me to that one though.

The front engine mount runs through two tabs that bolt to the frame. Remove the bolts that hold the tabs on, then remove the bolt that supports the engine.

The engine should rock forward at this point. use the extra space to unplug the gear indicator, the crank sensor wire (it goes to the ignition box) the ground strap, the starter positive wire, and the stator wires.

Now is when you'll need help. have two friends support the engine while you pull the bolt that supports the back fo the engine. You can then remove the tab that holds that bolt in place. you need two people on the right side of the bike. One person holding the back of the engine. One person at the front. And you on the left. The stator cover makes a great handhold. You guide the engine out. And between three people, the engine is quite manageable.

Putting it back in... Well get that rear engine mount in first is the key. Then the front engine mount. Then you can do the middle ones.

I could even get pictures for you sometime next week.
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Nero~ i owe you a ton..

I'm gonna try and do the swap later this month.

Thanks again guys...

Comment

Working...
            X