To pod or not to pod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To pod or not to pod

Gid,ay this is my first tech question. And it goes like this is there any benefit to using pod filters,thus doing away with the original or am i asking for problems,???? The bike in question is a 1980 GS1000G And I would think pod is easier to come by than the original.Advice on this will be much appreciated thanks in advance.....Oh yea the original is crumbling in my greasy mitts.....Brownie

filter

stock ones are readily available I think emgo has them, unless you love to work on carbs and have the skill to retune forget the pods

Comment

I'd never do it again.

Anyone have a stock airbox and pipe for my 83 1100E?
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Here is on on EBAY that may work for you.

Comment

PODS ARE EVIL

i really regret the day i chunked my stock airbox for pod filters....... maybe one day i can get my bike adjusted properly and won't regret it so but until then......

Comment

I on the otherhand love my pods. It took a while to get them to where I think they are right but taking off the SOB'in air box is bad, getting it back on is worse.

Take your carbs and airbox off for a cleaning and put them back on. If it is not too much trouble keep the stockers. If it is a hassle you will understand what I mean.
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

lol you are so right

ya know i didn't have a problem gettin the damn thing off, first time i tried to reinstall my carbs after pulling them off i really thought it was hard lol then i got to the airbox, omg its stupid its so hard so i bought pods, pods aren't that bad i should be more specific other than last post, with proper jetting and carb adjustment they are ok and they definately look cool. so anybody know how to adjust these darn things? hehe

Comment

to pod or not to pod,Thanks

Thanks guys Ill use this info carefully before making any changes. Stay upright.....Brownie

Comment

I wouldn't go back to the stock air cleaner system on my 1000, and my stock air box and everything is in great shape. I guess it must be somehow harder to re-jet CV carbs than the Mikuni's on my 78, because it was really one of the EASIEST part's of the restoration of my bike. Maybe I just got lucky, but after a sound tear down and cleaning of the carbs, I took out the 95 jet's, put in the 115 jet's, moved my clip's on the needles down 1 notch from stock, set my pilot's, tweaked my air screws and that was it. This will be the fourth season of riding, and the bike runs great in all rpm ranges and starts perfect. Without the stock air box battery maintanence is painless and the room under the seat makes for a little extra storage.
                  Keith

Comment

Brownie, your airbox is one of the simplest to remove in all of motorcycling, the 1000E and 1100E is one of the most difficult, so please ignore that reason. Your carbs are the CV style and they rely on a vacuum difference behind the carb to raise the slide, so rejetting CAN be quite a headache. The 1000G has plenty of smooth power stock, so any power gain might not even be noticeable, although rideability will probably be adversely affected (flat spots in carburation).

Comment

unless you need or plan to tinker with the carbs, leave it alone. That box is designed the way it is for a reason.
                      Rain is not a good thing with pods, wet filters don't work too good.
                      Keith Krause will probably jump in this one and beat me up again
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

My 81 GS1000G had pods when I bought it. It ran quite badly and it was apparent that they were not matched to the 4 into 1 system. I got an original airbox from a wrecker and it was immediately better. I got my mechanic to check jetting and balance the carbies and it was better again and unbelievably smooth.

Pods need lots of care when jetting, and if you get them matched up properly they will give you something in return. It's just that lots of people have lots of strife getting the pod/jet/exhaust match happening.

Kim

Comment

G'day all,

Now all the above is actually a very good summary of the issues re. pod filters that you will find in the GSResources forum, and in other forums (eg. Katana Central)...

1. Some folks love 'em, others loathe 'em.
                          2. If you have CV carbs, you can expect some trouble, which may or may not be able to be 'tuned out' (as per Dr. Shifty's post, above).
                          3. If you have VM carbs, there are more favourable reports to be had.
                          4. Wet weather is not good for pods.
                          5. The old airbox is actually a well-designed set up.
                          6. Many of us DIY bike-tinkerers just can't help ourselves. See, we just have to go and change an airbox system for a set of pods which just have to be better simply because of the 'logic' that says if you replace/modify something it will always be an improvement... :roll:

Well by now I've really put my head on the block, and I am bracing myself for a howl of protest from the pod afficionados... :twisted:

Mike!

Comment

Rain is not a good thing with pods, wet filters don't work too good.
                            I have been in drenching rain with deeeeeeep puddles and not had a problem with my pod filters. These engines are so tough and run so hot that you could probably suck up a nickel in there and hardly know it.

Since I last posted I had some time to do some tuning. I think I've got it set nice and now I love the pods! Hooray for pods! I still think that throttle response with the stock airbox is better, but maybe I still have some fine tuning to do.
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Excellent work, Jethro

I'm wondering, might there be room for the writing of a tech article on what needs to be done to sucessfully fit pods?

Mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X