Exterior oil cooler on gs850l?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exterior oil cooler on gs850l?

I own a 1982 gs850l, so far I've put basically straight though glasspacks on for mufflers, Uni filter stock replacement, and rejetted for all, plugs tell me I'm running well but I think it could use some more cooling. I thought about the external oil cooler... is that doable on this machine? Would it help at all? Thanks-darren

Yes, it is very doable. there are several links on here that refer to oil coolers. Use the search feature and you will have a wealth of info.

Comment

I just put on an oil cooler this winter on the 83. My oil temps may have decreased by about 3 degrees. But it looks cool!
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

3 degrees

Is 3 degrees allot in terms of oil temp. My bike shop buddy says not to waste my time since if you are stoped there is no air passing through the cooler and it is not helping you any?? Does anyone have a oil cooler with fans??

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          I just put on an oil cooler this winter on the 83. My oil temps may have decreased by about 3 degrees. But it looks cool!
          Did you use the 1150 oil filter cover???

DO a search on Terry's oil cooler adapter, lots of info on installing an oil cooler on a 2 valve motor

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
            Yes, it is very doable. there are several links on here that refer to oil coolers. Use the search feature and you will have a wealth of info.
            for some reason my computer dosnt like the search on this site, I'll search for something and it'll just being me every topic no matter what i search for...?thanks-darren

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...383&highlight= oil cooler info

Comment

Alright Thanks! checked out the links, I have a few questions yet though. On my GS I dont have a screw on style oil filter, its an inner one, no shell. So I need to know in the oil filter part could I just drill and tap 2 holes, one going after the filter, plug off the original oil retern hole after the filter, then tap the 2nd hole where the old return was? Will it have sufficiant oil pressure in that area and such? thanks-darren

Comment

On your bike the lines to the oil filter should come from and return to the opening behind behind the cylinders that is covered by the plate holding the oil pressure sensor. You need to get an adaptor with hose nipples to replace that plate. Terry sells a nice one that he has fabricated. Otherwise you need to scrounge around. I do not know how drilling and tapping would work. I personally would not try it. I had a Lockhart oil cooler on my 850 for the last 90,000 of the its first 100,000 miles.
                  Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                  X