asbestos exhaust pipe coupler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

asbestos exhaust pipe coupler

I took my exhaust pipes off, sandblasted them and had them powder coated. I had to seperate the pipes and at the joint there was a (asbestos?) coupling ring that fit in between the front and rear pieces. One of them was pretty worn out so I want to replace them when I put the pipes back together. What is the proper name for that ring of material? I have a 1983 GS1100G.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

they're commonly called exhaust 'donuts' you may even be able to find one at an auto parts store, bring the old one to see if you can find a match

Comment

Connector muffler pn 14771-49001

Comment

Thanks for the replies. What I'm talking about is a thin round piece of material that looks like a wrist sweat band made out of asbestos. It fits around one end of the front segment of the exhaust pipe and the back end then fits into the front end and the two pieces are snuggly held together by some splines that you crimp down to hold the pieces together. One on each exhaust (R & L sides)

I hope that makes sense. I called my local bike shop, the parts guy is going to check and see if they have the part and call me back.

Comment

The part # is listed in my post

Comment

I gave the shop the part # and they said they didn't have a listing for that. I called another shop and described what I needed and he had to special order them ($36.00). They are called midpipe exhaust gasket. Thank you all for your help!! :P

Comment

Sounds like you got rooked:
              This website is for sale! cpixel.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, cpixel.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

$10.04 at crotchrocket.com
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'm not sure that the muffler connector is the same thing as the midpipe exhaust gasket. If so, yeah I got taken although that's what happens when you don't know anything but I'm learning

Comment

And this is a great place to learn

When looking for a part, I'd start by going to Alpha Sports http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm look up your bike and the schematic and get the part number. I like their site because they use the real Suzuki part numbers. If that part is no longer available, they'll show you the progression of supersede part numbers or if it's discontinued.

Then go to http://www.cpixel.com/bikeparts/part_search.asp and put the part number in, select Suzuki for the make, and it will show you the prices at several on-line stores. They will also show what schematics it appears in so you can tell what parts from a different model will fit yours.

I wouldn't always go for the cheapest, but at least you have a range of what's a reasonable price.

edited - the link works now.

Comment

Thanks Paul but I think that first link isn't working. It took me to 'Artic Cat' and there wasn't any place to put in my bike info. The second one worked though.

Comment

I used a muffler and tailpipe patch ( made by permatex) for 2.99 from Pepboys.

Absolutely worked like a charm, enough for two bikes. Probably what they use now, it was fibreglass, way safer than asbestos.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

That should work better. I had an extra character in the url.

I'll edit the post above as well.

Comment

Duane-
                          You just wrapped it around the front piece and slid the 2 pipes together? Man! I wish I would've gotten this before I ordered those parts.

Comment

It was exactly the width and thickness. I did a friends 650 pipes and we destroyed the gasket getting them off. I happened to have this patch in my car ( bought it for a tailpipe problem), and a lightbulb went on. Only used half of it .

Even had the same texture as OEM, just red instead of white.
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by ptm
                              http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm

That should work better. I had an extra character in the url.

I'll edit the post above as well.
                              Thank you very much for the information Paul. That will be a tremendous help! You all are a big help.

Comment

Working...
                              X