Help! Need tips on cutting windsheild!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Need tips on cutting windsheild!

I have a Honda GL500 interstate, I want to cut 3" off the top of the windsheild. What is the best way to cut this. Blade type, cutting speed, crack prevention ect.

Thanks

I'd recommend either a dremel with a cutting wheel or an exhaust cut-off tool with a cutting wheel..., you can crack it pretty easily using a sawzall

Comment

I cut mine using a scroll saw. You can aslo use a band saw. Those are the two best methods if you have access to them. You can use something with a cutting wheel but it likes to melt the plastic where you are cutting. If you want you can use a jizz saw with a fine tooth blade just be careful.

Comment

I'd grab a new piece of plastic and trace your old one onto it along with modifications.

Steve

Comment

I'd tape it on both sides and use a cut-off wheel on a grinder. This should melt the plastic and keep it from cracking - go slow and cut in layers. Then I would use a sanding block to finsh the edge.

You may also want to have someone there to stabilze the windshield to keep it from rattling when you cut it.

Comment

I would not use a cutting wheel, that would only melt the plastic. Use a rotozip or dremmel spiral cutting tool. They do a great job at cutting plastic.

The saw method has a tendency to chip the edges of the plastic. If you use a saw, tape both sides, use a fine tooth blade and a low blade speed.

Comment

I put a couple layers of 2" wide masking tampe on both sides of the plexiglass along the cut. tape wide enough that the jigsaw base plate will not contact the plexi as you move the saw across during cutting, Use a 18 tooth metal cutting blade. Have a helper with a 2 liter bottle of water continuiously pour warter on the cut as you are cutting. It will keep the plexi from melting and grabbing the blade (which causes cracks)You must make the cut wet.
              for finishing. remove the tape. Take a sanding block with 100 grit paper to remove the saw tooth marks, then smooth the edge with 220 grit wet dry paper and soapy water. Then wetsand with the block and 600 wet dry paper and soapy water. After that, take a propane torch turned down to a low flame and heat the sanded edge, Just before it melts, the edge will change appearance to a wet looking, black mirror shine. Move the flame to the next section at that point.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Katamaniac
                I would not use a cutting wheel, that would only melt the plastic. Use a rotozip or dremmel spiral cutting tool. They do a great job at cutting plastic.

The saw method has a tendency to chip the edges of the plastic. If you use a saw, tape both sides, use a fine tooth blade and a low blade speed.
                Actually, that's the idea and I stated so in my post. I've used this method before on plexiglass and never had it break. You need to make several passes, each one a bit deeper. I then used a sanding disk on the wheel to take off the rough edges, then finished with a sanding block.

There are lots of ways to do this. Pick whichever you like.

Comment

Here's a proceedure from the COG site:

SV

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    I put a couple layers of 2" wide masking tampe on both sides of the plexiglass along the cut. tape wide enough that the jigsaw base plate will not contact the plexi as you move the saw across during cutting, Use a 18 tooth metal cutting blade. Have a helper with a 2 liter bottle of water continuiously pour warter on the cut as you are cutting. It will keep the plexi from melting and grabbing the blade (which causes cracks)You must make the cut wet.
                    for finishing. remove the tape. Take a sanding block with 100 grit paper to remove the saw tooth marks, then smooth the edge with 220 grit wet dry paper and soapy water. Then wetsand with the block and 600 wet dry paper and soapy water. After that, take a propane torch turned down to a low flame and heat the sanded edge, Just before it melts, the edge will change appearance to a wet looking, black mirror shine. Move the flame to the next section at that point.

Earl
                    That's basically how I did mine and it worked like a charm. There are Jigsaw blades specifically designed for cutting Plexiglass and various laminate materials and this is the way to go. Only thing I would add is to take your time. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X