I think I may have found a problem - Vacuum leak question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I may have found a problem - Vacuum leak question

So I think my bike is running too lean after installing Pods and dynojet kit.

I think I may have realized why...Will I have a vacuum leak if I run the bike with the tops off the carbs (they aren't the CV diaphragm type)?

I was just looking over a duplicate set of carbs and noticed a groove in the side of the slide which I'm guessing isn't a tight enough seal around the centering pin to prevent a leak.

What do you think - am I on to something?

Haven't messed with jet kits much. ON the slide carbs Their is a small 1/2" long piece of hose between the carbs 1&2 3&4 connects the vents together. they should be left open when using pods/jet kit. Having the top off shouldn't make any difference

Comment

On slide carbs you have to have the tops open while you're synchronizing them, so...

Just don't drop any rocks in there or anything.

Oh wait, I just re-read your question...

NO! Don't ride around with them open! You do NOT want anything getting in there, like dust, birds, rocks, water, etc.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

leak

you will run a small amount of unmetered air around the slides with the tops off, due too cleance between the carb slides and bodies dont do it, as well as picking up dirt, if you want to prove it take a small piece of news paper and at about 2500rpm set the piece of paper on the top of the carb and the vacuum leak will pull it down against the body

Comment

There will not be any significant vacuum loss by running the bike with the carb tops off. They're off as you synch the carbs, with no ill effects. If you have a vacuum leak, it's not related to the tops.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Have you read my last reply to your original topic in this section?
            I listed the necessary steps to re-jetting. I also covered any possible causes of intake/vacuum leaks.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
              NO! Don't ride around with them open! You do NOT want anything getting in there, like dust, birds, rocks, water, etc.
              Ha! Good one - birds don't like carbs, do they?

Keith - I didn't see your post until you mentioned it - hopefully I'll get a chance to play with the bike this weekend and see what I come up with. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again for your help.

Later,
              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBuster

Keith - I didn't see your post until you mentioned it - hopefully I'll get a chance to play with the bike this weekend and see what I come up with. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again for your help.

Later,
                Jay
                Have you selected to be notified about replies to your topics in the preference section? That way you don't miss info you requested.

Comment

Working...
                X