Grip Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grip Removal

I am planning on replacing the grips on my 1982 GS 850L, and need to know the best way to remove the old ones. Is there an easy way to do this? :roll:

grips

cut them down the length with a razor knife dont go to deep on the throttle side cause the casing is plastic, make sure to follow the instructions that come with the new grips

Comment

use hairspray to put the new ones on, ancient chinese secret.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I sometimes take the air nozzle, stick it under the edge of the grip and blow. And they often come right off in a condition to be used again if needed.

If you have those pesky little holes molded in the ends of your grips just put a finger over it.

Hairspray does the trick for glue like Duane said but if I'm out in the shop and I don't want to come in and steal a can from my wife I use a shot of spray paint in each grip. Same effect. You can even use clear

Rico

Comment

The razor blade is a good choice. But also you can put the little red plastic straw/tube in the nozzle of a can of carb cleaner and shove it in the area between the grip and the bar and get a squirt in there. Be careful, it will want to spray back at your face. Wear goggles.

It works like a magic trick. They will slide off like melted butter then and can be reused.

The carb cleaner can then be wiped off with a towel and will simply evaporate.

Comment

Working...
          X