GS400E (aka GSX400E) Modifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS400E (aka GSX400E) Modifications?

So I'm picking up a really nice condition gs400e (1982) in a few weeks. I have some random questions about mods - hoping someone here could provide some insights.

1. Where can I get detailed info on this bike?
    2. What are popular mods with this bike
    3. Are there any bikes that I could scavenge parts off of to upgrade this bike (i.e. brakes, suspension, nicer wheels, etc)

Anything you can tell me would be awesome!

Re: GS400E (aka GSX400E) Modifications?

Originally posted by oppi
    So I'm picking up a really nice condition gs400e (1982) in a few weeks. I have some random questions about mods - hoping someone here could provide some insights.

1. Where can I get detailed info on this bike?
    2. What are popular mods with this bike
    3. Are there any bikes that I could scavenge parts off of to upgrade this bike (i.e. brakes, suspension, nicer wheels, etc)

Anything you can tell me would be awesome!
    The 400 is a great starter bike, not a racer or anything. I had a 450 and loved mine. If you put real good rubber on it and change the fork oil it's handling ability will surprise you. different, lower bars will also help, the light weight of the bike makes it a great corner machine.

I would leave the engine and intake airbox alaone since you won't get really big gains out of a small engine like that without a lot of work. A 2-1 aftermarket exhaust will lighten it up a bit and give greter ground clearance, you might not have to rejet with the right pipe.

Work on being a safe and predictable rider, enjoy it.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

If you preload the fork springs and put in new rear shocks you can keep up with SV650s no problem. You will get left behind in the straights but if you are a good rider you can catch them in the corners. Last year I had two of my friends pull aside and give me right of way so I could chase down an SV1000 during a Calabogie Boogie. Top speed is 180ish but I doubt your speedo will work too well above 100.

You might be able to put on the newest generation GS500E factory 2 into 1 exhaust and flatslide carbs. I don't know if it has a rear disc or not, I doubt it because the are not necessary. Do a search for posts from "srivett" that include maintenance, carbs, seals, etc. I've posted everything you need to tune up your bike. 2 into 1s give less ground clearance because the two pipes join together under the bike while a 2 into 2 just has a little balance tube. If you drag any part of that bike in the corners you aren't riding it properly.

Also, what did you pay for your 400? I've seen them going for anything between 700 and 1300. Mine may be up for sale again in a few months and I'm kinda nervous that I won't get what I sold it to my brother for.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

It seems like a good starter (this will be my first season riding - feel old to be saying that, but it's true!)

The bike has a rear drum - not a disc, but I've heard of people complaining about the single front disc. I'm not worried about going super fast, I just don't want it to be bogged down by me - I'm 5'11" and 190 lbs - some of my buds think a 400 is too small for me. Also, for now handling and ride comfort are my priorities with this bike.

I have not ridden the bike or seen it in person yet. Going to see it next weekend. As far as price, to me it would be worth $1100-1300, but the seller wants 1500 FIRM, 1600 trailered to Toronto. It's got 17000kms, new battery, new tires, apparently maintained well (looks very good in the pics too - it's an '82).

I feel like it's kind of high - but if it's in as good shape as he keeps telling me, it might be worth the price. What do you think of that price?

Comment

I would check out the charging system and the brake pad wear ( on the rear drum there is a wear indictor that shows how much is left) and see if there is any rust in the tank. For that kind of money your looking for a dent free tank and a bike that has not been dropped. I would expect a perfectly clean bike because you can get a bigger badder bike ( albeit needing some work) for that money.

Condition will be everything. Deduct from his price for items that need repair. Brake pads are around 25.00 US and rears can be expensive. Chain and sprocket set will cost around 100 US. Charging system problems can cost up to 120 dollars to fix.

It is not a rare bike or anything, they sold plenty of them.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
          X