fuel gauge sending unit vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel gauge sending unit vent?

I'm putting a '81 tank on my '78 GS1000 and I noticed the gas gauge sending unit has a tube coming out of it. Is this a vent or does it go to the carb somewhere?I bought the tank off of ebay so I put a little gas in it and either the sending unit gasket leaks or fuel is coming out of that tube. I didn't have time to look to closely at today.

It goes to the carbs and functions as a drain incase the sending unit leaks.

Comment

It DOESN"T go to the carbs The fuel tank sending unit has a shield around it with a hose, the hose gets routed back by the rear wheel as a drain it does not connect to anything. If it leaks the seal is leaking Try tightening the bolts

Comment

Yup, vent to atmosphere.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks Lynn, behind the shield the bolts to the sending unit were loose. I connected the wires for the gauge and it doesn't work. Looking at other posts it seems like a common problem for the gauge to have problems. Can someone tell me what the common problems and fixes for the gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            It DOESN"T go to the carbs The fuel tank sending unit has a shield around it with a hose, the hose gets routed back by the rear wheel as a drain it does not connect to anything. If it leaks the seal is leaking Try tightening the bolts
            Correct. Consider the potential consequences of fuel leaking on the engine while running and you know why they did this.

Comment

Granted I got my bike used but that how the hose was routed - from the sending unit drain to the carb vent between 3/4. No other hoses were present and the one that made this connection wasn't long enough to go from tank to behind the swingarm. I could have sworn seeing posts that describe the same routing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
                Granted I got my bike used but that how the hose was routed - from the sending unit drain to the carb vent between 3/4. No other hoses were present and the one that made this connection wasn't long enough to go from tank to behind the swingarm. I could have sworn seeing posts that describe the same routing.
                As long as the sending unit isn't leaking that should work just fine. I'd change it to the correct configuration just in case the tank sending unit developed a leak. Dumping gas in the carb vent isn't a good thing.

Comment

Last season my fuel gauge never worked, they seems to always lagging. One time I was almost dry and it still indicating half full!!!
                  So this winter, I decided to open my cluster (while I did redo all my wiring on the bike...what's a jobs men!!!) and see what's wrong with it. I found one weld on a leg of the gauge was broken, probably because of all that years of vibration. I rewelded it and now it is working like a brand new one!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
                    Granted I got my bike used but that how the hose was routed - from the sending unit drain to the carb vent between 3/4.
                    The carb vent you have it connected to is actually a vent for the 3/4 floatbowls.
                    If you have the stock airbox, you should get a new hose for that vent and route it under the seat.
                    If you have pod filters, you should run the bike without any vent lines to avoid fuel starvation.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                      Correct. Consider the potential consequences of fuel leaking on the engine while running and you know why they did this.
                      Leaking fuel on the rear tire could be rather exciting too, but what is life without some surprises. LOL
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy
                        Originally posted by Swanny
                        Leaking fuel on the rear tire could be rather exciting too, but what is life without some surprises. LOL
                        Neither is good and I'm afraid dumping fuel anywhere is a problem. However, leaking on the engine while moving gives new meaning to the phrase "Great Balls of Fire!"

Comment

Working...
                        X