What to do with crankcase breather when installing pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with crankcase breather when installing pods

This weekend is the big one, going to reinstall the completely cleaned carbs and get her fired up. But I am not sure what do with the crankcase breather tube that now runs into the stock airbox. I suppose I could get a little filter for it... also, what should be coming out there? When I was running the bike a few weeks ago with it disconnected, I had a little smoke coming out of the breather. Nothing crazy but enough to notice while looking at it.

Re: What to do with crankcase breather when installing pods

Originally posted by pasteurized
    This weekend is the big one, going to reinstall the completely cleaned carbs and get her fired up. But I am not sure what do with the crankcase breather tube that now runs into the stock airbox. I suppose I could get a little filter for it... also, what should be coming out there? When I was running the bike a few weeks ago with it disconnected, I had a little smoke coming out of the breather. Nothing crazy but enough to notice while looking at it.
    You answered your own question.

Comment

Indeed, you can just put a little filter on it. The smoke you see is called "Blow by" it is normal to see a little bit - old cars do the same thing. A PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve cures the problem by sucking the blow by back into the engine - also keeps water out of the oil. Anyway, slap a filter on it and you'll be fine.

Later,
      Jay

Comment

I saw a very nice custom GS on E-bay that the owner had pods and had mounted the filter for the crank case breather below the swing arm on the right side.
        very neat, and it keeps condensed oil (the smoke is oil vapor) from dripping on engine.

Comment

i just ran mine down below the battery box to get it out of the way and didn't want my filters sucking the "mist". you recomend a filter. what kind of filter would i put on something like that? can i "jerryrig" a piece of foam airfilter on the cord and sinch it down with a zip tie? would this be sufficient? is it really nescecary to put a filteron it? my understanding was it blew and didn't suck? lol no pun intended.

Comment

Here you go:

I think any local bike store should have something like this...

Comment

I bought a little filter at PepBoys that looks like a K&N. I routed it down below the right side cover- purposely visable 'casue I am soooo cool.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: What to do with crankcase breather when installing pods

Originally posted by pasteurized
                This weekend is the big one, going to reinstall the completely cleaned carbs and get her fired up. But I am not sure what do with the crankcase breather tube that now runs into the stock airbox. I suppose I could get a little filter for it...
                Check out my crankcase breather catch at my website. Simple, no mess, and out of sight. It's the last pic' in my photos section.
                Just click the WWW symbol below.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Also, when running pod filters, make sure you remove the two floatbowl vent lines to avoid fuel starvation.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

You don't need a filter on it to run, honestly. Both of my 550's had pods and no filter on the breather line. I recently re-routed my breather line with a longer piece of hose, because it vents that wonderful smell up if you use the short tube. I ran mine back to just below the rear master cylinder.

Those who I have seen with a filter on their breather have to 'dump' it out every so often because it fills up with blowby. Yuck. :x

For a durability concern (say the chance of sucking up something with it) I have 10,000 miles in 2 years on my filterless breather...

~Adam

Comment

Buy these.

I was going to but you need them worse it sounds as you have none.

If you don't want them then please let me know in here and I will resume.

Comment

You don't need a filter, mine has a long clear tube that exits between the tail light and license plate braket. Thats how it was done on early eighties superbikes. I found short tubes drip and ooze vapor and condensate all over, coming out of the rear of the bike eliminates the mess.

Some bikes have two mesh oil seperator filters in stalled in the valve cover, these models drip less but my 750 does not have them.

Dr. Dre

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemodeller
                          You don't need a filter, mine has a long clear tube that exits between the tail light and license plate braket. Thats how it was done on early eighties superbikes. I found short tubes drip and ooze vapor and condensate all over, coming out of the rear of the bike eliminates the mess.

Some bikes have two mesh oil seperator filters in stalled in the valve cover, these models drip less but my 750 does not have them.

Dr. Dre
                          Not a bad Idea.

Comment

Working...
                          X