1983 GS750ES Igniter or Ignitor Alternate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Besides the 83 thru 86 GS750ES and E igniter, which other bike Igniters are a suitable replacement? Will the GS700 igniter work? How about any of the other air cooled GSXR engine igniters? or the GS1100E and GS1150E etc.?

MP

From what I've seen, almost any electronic ignition GS igniter will work, I'd say you're safe in the 1980-86 range. Whether the advance curve is right is a different story, but the one from a 1981 model that's in my bike right now looks the same case and wiring wise as a 550, 650, 850, even 450 that I've seen on Ebay.

Comment

You could probably use early air cooled gsxr ignitors too. They might have a more refined curve. Picking one up cheap might make it worth a try.

Comment

I just fried my igniter on my 1980gs100g & from help here got a dyna s for $170 & now no longer have or need the "igniter" 8) 8)
        Vinny

Comment

My symptoms are: no fire from 1 & 4 cylinders. Checked signal generator and it is per specification. Swapped 2 & 3 coil with 1 & 4 and problem stayed on 1 & 4.

I called a couple of motorcycle salvage yards and although they don't have the exact igniter, they will match one up (physically) for $100 to $125 used. A new igniter is ~$400. The hell with this, I won't throw the $s at a used one that although it may look the same, there is no guarantee that it will perform the same electrically and who knows how long it will last. I took your advice Vinny and ordered a Dyna 2000 from MPS racing, coils and plug wires to boot.

MP

Comment

There's a guy called Wayne Gum in New Zealand who makes aftermarket ignition units for a large range of bikes.
            He sells quite a few on Ebay
            I haven't had one but he appears to have decent feedback.

Might be worth emailing him!

Comment

Working...
            X