Electrical accessory question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical accessory question

My charging system is real healthy. I want to add a ciggarette lighter to the bike to power a GPS or my cell phone, or my nicotine habit. Think it can handle it? I wouldn't ever use more than what I listed and only one at a time, and only while the bike is running.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Holy crap, used to be I could post a topic and it would be in the top few posts for a few days! So many tech questions.

No one knows?
    Currently bikeless
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Jethro, the thing is the right person hasn't read it yet. Where's Earl when you need him??? (out riding probably)

Comment

if it helps my 1980gs100g has a stereo with a cassette deck & i have no problems except if i dont ride for two weeks(never happens with good weather) the battery will drain down.I also have 2 extra lights on the trunk

Comment

You can use more power than you generate over short periods of time - that's what the battery is there for.

Comment

Surprising Pillage hasn't posted yet. I think he has a cig lighter on his FZ
            Check it out this weekend 8) 8)
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Cigarette lighter

Yes you can, the trick is not to run it thru the ignition switch as it probably can't handle the extra load ...so wire it directly to the battery, the downside is it will be powered 24/7 so be carefull on what is plugged into it and if it is running or not. Use 12 gauge wire, use soldered connections & be neat on the connectors(use shrink tube) the routing ...a beefy fuseholder coming directly/immediately off the battery with a 30 amp fuse should do the trick.
              _________________________________Rick.....

Comment

Re: Cigarette lighter

Originally posted by Richard Ellis
                Yes you can, the trick is not to run it thru the ignition switch as it probably can't handle the extra load ...so wire it directly to the battery, the downside is it will be powered 24/7 so be carefull on what is plugged into it and if it is running or not. Use 12 gauge wire, use soldered connections & be neat on the connectors(use shrink tube) the routing ...a beefy fuseholder coming directly/immediately off the battery with a 30 amp fuse should do the trick.
                i agree with that all except the 30 amp fuse...

The max i'd be willing to go if it was my bike is 10 amps, and i'd probably try and get away with a 5amp one... That wire would most likely start to melt before blowing a 30 amp fuse...

Comment

Re: Cigarette lighter

Originally posted by brveagle
                  Originally posted by Richard Ellis
                  i agree with that all except the 30 amp fuse...

The max i'd be willing to go if it was my bike is 10 amps, and i'd probably try and get away with a 5amp one... That wire would most likely start to melt before blowing a 30 amp fuse...

Agreed:
                  Perhaps you could hook up a multimeter to find out how much current the lighter element actually draws & then go perhaps 1 1/2 times the actual. EG. 8.35 amp actual draw..12 amp fuse.
                  ___________________________________Rick......

Comment

It's not a big deal. Electronic equipment doesn't use much power at all. The cigarette thing won't be in operation too often so I wouldn't worry about it either. I have used an electric vest on both my GS400E and 1100E for a full tank of gas nonstop without problems.

Steve

Comment

Jethro, buy a lighter or quit smoking!

Brad tt

Comment

Surprising Pillage hasn't posted yet. I think he has a cig lighter on his FZ
                        Check it out this weekend
                        I got to ride his FZR last weekend. But I didn't have any ciggys while riding (unlike Andy!)

Jethro, buy a lighter or quit smoking!
                        I'll probably never use it for ciggs. Mostly for the GPS and cell phone.
                        Currently bikeless

Comment

You definitely must use a fuse in the circuit, but it is a simple installation.

There will be negligible draw on your electrical system as it will only be used intermittently.

DO pay atention to the need for a good gauge of wire. 16 AWG, which is good for 10 amps, will suffice, (and matches the headlight circuit on your bike) but 14 AWG will give you a feeling of more security, and it will comfortably handle a higher load. Your lighter will likely draw less than 10 amps, when in use, but you can test it as mentioned above.

Be sure you install two wires, one for hot and one for ground. As the circuit will be live constantly, you must ensure the ground is directly to the battery.
                          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                          X