Fuel Guage. What's it measuring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Guage. What's it measuring?

Just curious if it's actually telling you what's left in the tank or what's left before you need to switch to reserve. In other words, when I'm on "E" does it mean that I SOL for gas, or that I should switch to reserve and start looking for a gas station?

Thanks
    Brad tt

I think the only conclusive answer is trial and error. They're all different. Mine, for example, shows E when I'm all the way empty. And when I need to switch to reserve. And when it's full. Well, pretty much all the time, actually.

Seriously, they're all different and awfully inaccurate. You should really just test it.

Michael

Comment

agreed, test it as they do vary.
      you can adjust it to your liking, mine hits reserve at right around a 1/8th shown on the gauge about 70 percent of the time, the rest it hits reserve at 1/4.

you adjust it by bending the arm in the dirrection you need.

Comment

My gauge is pretty useless. When it's full, it works fine. But at about half a tank it reads empty. Too lazy to pull the tank and adjust the float arm.

I just switch to reserve when I feel it's starving for gas.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

My Kat doesn't have a gas guage

Comment

My 850 and previous 650 both had a red line on the gas guage at about 1/8th, needed to switch to reverve just a little bit below that. I have seen some bikes with that so faded that its hard to see the difference between the red and the white line on the fuel guage. You didnt mention anything about the red line/mark.

Have you ever left it on main ("ON") untill it starts to sputter? That will tell you alot.

Not directly related to your question, but keep in mind that it is that filter thing that sticks up into your tank (from the petcock) that determines what level the main ends. If someone has removed or cut that off, well then that would cause 3 things: 1)you dont have a fuel filter, 2) Main is the same as reserve & 3)Reserve is the same as main.

SO if you leave it on main till it sputters (actaully dont wait till it obviusly sputters, you can tell before that) then turn to reserve, it should recover in just a second or two. (Practice doing that at home, so you can find it on the road.) Then you will have your answer. If you turn it to reserve and it doesnt recover, well, then you have the other answer. :?
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

My bikes need to be switched to reserve shortly after the gas guage reads empty. With the Pingle's set the way I have them, I have 5 quarts remaining when the engine sputters on the petcock run setting and the guage reads empty.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by REDMAN
                You didnt mention anything about the red line/mark.

Have you ever left it on main ("ON") untill it starts to sputter? That will tell you alot.
                I have the warning mark. I ran the bike completely out of gas in the "ON" position. I switched to reserve, but got nothing. However, I was also moving at highway speed and probably didn't give it enough time to feed back into the engine before I made it to a gas station. Actually, I think I may have just answered my own question. I put just under 4 gallons in at that point. Therefore I had around a gallon left for the reserve when the needle was on "E". I just need to be a little more patient with the reserve next time. :roll:

Brad tt

Comment

Hi

I need to switch to reserve when the meter reads empty.

Gs1000GLX (1100)

Comment

Working...
                  X