no fire after setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no fire after setting

I bought a 1980 GS850? for $50 about 2 years ago gave it a jump and rode it home. Carbs were in bad shape for the bike had set for 5 years. I just got the carbs rebuilt put them back on and tried to start now there is no juice to coils. I am not good at electric and not really sure about a motorcycle charging or timing . I would appreciate any advice for trouble shooting .

Re: no fire after setting

Did you check to make sure the kill switch is in the on position?
    By no juice to coils, do you mean there is no power going to the coils, or do you mean there is no power leaving the coil going to the ignition? Is a 1980 850 points or electronic ignition?
    I'm pretty close to you. I'm in Naples

Earl

Originally posted by trenton w cox
    I bought a 1980 GS850? for $50 about 2 years ago gave it a jump and rode it home. Carbs were in bad shape for the bike had set for 5 years. I just got the carbs rebuilt put them back on and tried to start now there is no juice to coils. I am not good at electric and not really sure about a motorcycle charging or timing . I would appreciate any advice for trouble shooting .
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have fliped the kill switch both ways as the writing is all wore off. either waw I have no power going to the coils enless I am testing them wrong. someone told me to try cleening the magneeto I am not sure how to do this or if it is a logical thing to try. If it is do you have any tips or what not to do. Thanks I really would be lost without this great page and the members.

Comment

Did you replace the battery. They won't spark without one.
        Axel

Comment

How are you trying to start this, by giving it a jump? Is the starter turning the bike over when you are checking for "juice" at the coils -- and was this being checked at the spark plug (high tension) wires? You likely have the ignitor ignition like my bike has. I think the last year for points was 79. This ignitor should be shecked for juice with a voltmeter. It's pretty simple to just check for obvious voltage, but yet another to check resistance through coils and such, which most can do if they put their mind to it.

I'd maybe take Earl up on a visit. He's a happenin' dude.

Roger Moore

Comment

Trenton, do you live in north or south Ft Myers? I live in north naples and if you were in south Ft Myers, we could be as little as 10 miles apart. LOL I will be glad to stop by and help out if you wish.

Got tools, will travel. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by trenton w cox
            I am not sure how to do this or if it is a logical thing to try. If it is do you have any tips or what not to do. Thanks I really would be lost without this great page and the members.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If it worked before, cant be too bad. battery and fuses are the basics to check first, otherwwise just a matter of following the electrical trail.......

Comment

all fuses good

I checked all fuses and conections I could find. My battery is shot so I am jumping it of to test where I have power. I tested the wires going to coil, no power. Im not shure where to test from there as I am not shure the line of power. the bike turns over very well and when I get it running it shouldrun strong. I rode it while the carbs were gummed up till I almost laid it down. I was pulling out and pumping the throtle to get it to go, when it did it really kicked in. I thought it safer to swallow my pride and wait till I could get the carbs cleaned.

T W C

Comment

Sell me that junk I'll have someone there in a few hours to pick it up. If you insist on fixing it, follow the wires(feed) from the coil back. You should get 12V at the coil. It may be a bad connection especially ground. Put your ground clamp on the motor somewhere. Check your kill switch for power there and through. You'll find it yet. Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X