fifth gear noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fifth gear noise

Hello everyone, on the 82 1100e, I noticed a loose noise like sproket rattle coming from the engine has anyone experienced noise like this? where should I start looking? does the front sproket ever gets loose? The engine does not seem to be loosing power, and it might be loose chain noise, but still is a concern, if anyone can help me sort this out. thank you

ard

please be a little more specific on the location, I.E. Front of engine? top? botom? right or left side? sound like chain? What have you checked so far?

Comment

Hi Tim, thank you for your respond, well I did not check anything yet except adjusting the chain which is getting to be a pain, because if I line up the marking groves on the swingarm, the wheel seems to be turning hard, what I did I asked someone that has experience with bike chain, he suggested to adjust the chain and keep turning the wheel, if it turns free and easy it should be pretty much centered, so that is what I have done so far, the only way I was getting this noise if I am riding the bike and in fifth gear if the bike is going on slower then faster. I hope this would help.

ard

Comment

I had a noise on my Kat whei I was decelerating. It turned out that the front sprocket nut was missing and the sprocket was working it's way off the spline.

Comment

little later I will take the sproket cover off and check the sprocket, but if the sprocket is loose wouldent in makes the same sound on all gears? (just a thought)

ard

Comment

Well, after checking Bryans respons above, I would check each link, making sure nothing is stretched, etc.., Then check the sprocket teeth to make sure they are not worn. I think the reason you hear it only in 5th is becasue the RPMs are usually low, and more noise is heard. I take it it only makes noise when your rolling, and not when just idling? Have you checked the back wheel for properly torqued axle bolt, hose or wire hanging down chaffing tire? Are wheel bearings sound and greased?

Comment

I checked the sprocket it is tight noting is loose, but the chain is at the end of its life, what is the ruling on replacing the sprockets front and back, do i need to replace them with the chain or how does it go?

ard

Comment

I always replace chain and sprockets together. That's just a good comfort measure.

Comment

Just for the record I have the same bike and a fifth gear noise too. It sounds like an oscilation of some sort. It increases with rpm and is most pronounced from 3500-4500 rpm, after 5000 or so it is a constant and sort of goes to a freq where I think you can't hear it so well. If I shift to 4th and back to 5th sometimes it stays the same sometimes it gets quieter. It tends to get worse when the bike is warmed up.

I was hoping a couple years ago it was clutch noise but I think I have an issue with something in transmission with 5th gear.
                  1982 GS1000S Katana
                  1982 GS1100E

Comment

Same noise in my GSX1100SZ too. I haven't done anything to it, yet but I thought to replace the whole transmission if I find a used one for reasonable price from Ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Katamaniac
                      I had a noise on my Kat whei I was decelerating. It turned out that the front sprocket nut was missing and the sprocket was working it's way off the spline.
                      Ooops! 8O
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by pano
                        Just for the record I have the same bike and a fifth gear noise too. It sounds like an oscilation of some sort. It increases with rpm and is most pronounced from 3500-4500 rpm, after 5000 or so it is a constant and sort of goes to a freq where I think you can't hear it so well. If I shift to 4th and back to 5th sometimes it stays the same sometimes it gets quieter. It tends to get worse when the bike is warmed up.

I was hoping a couple years ago it was clutch noise but I think I have an issue with something in transmission with 5th gear.
                        I'm having the same noise that you described. It's been there since I had the bike, but now it's gotten louder. Earl mentioned the chain. So when I get some funds, I'll get a chain and sprocket.

However, I thought I once read in here that there is a bearing in the Tranny that makes that noise also?

Haven't found that thread though.

Comment

You might want to check your countershaft sprocket nut. If that is loose, there will certainly he a N O I S E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Ear;

Originally posted by DMPLATT

I'm having the same noise that you described. It's been there since I had the bike, but now it's gotten louder. Earl mentioned the chain. So when I get some funds, I'll get a chain and sprocket.

However, I thought I once read in here that there is a bearing in the Tranny that makes that noise also?

Haven't found that thread though.
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I know where the front sprocket and a rear sprocket is but where to I find the countershaft sprocket?
                            1982 GS1000S Katana
                            1982 GS1100E

Comment

The countershaft sprocket is the front sprocket.

Comment

Working...
                              X