Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The once and for all trouble shooting guide for motorcycles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The once and for all trouble shooting guide for motorcycles.

Please add your tips to this list.
    Even fairly silly observations can be of huge help because even though we are each unique, we all make the same damned mistakes!!

Here are my first tips.

1. Tools: Buy the manual. Borrow it if you can't get one. Never start a job without some way of understanding what you're doing.

2. Knowledge: Read the section of the manual twice before you do anything. Read it once away from the bike and once while looking at the bike.

3. Tools: Clean the work space before you start anything. Sweep the floor, too. Good lighting really helps.

4. Tools: Keep all removed pieces in plastic bags with notes on the outside in marker. Use a new bag for each cluster of pieces.

5. Knowledge: Things can only be held together 2 ways. Mechanical or Chemical. Sometimes they are combined.
    Mechanical: Nuts & Bolts & Screws, pressed fit, clips, tie wraps, etc.
    Chemical: Glue, welding, rust (oxidization), painted over, etc.
    Undo them using the right method(s) or suffer the consequences with a smile

Nice idea. How could one not want to add to the list?

On the tools/manuals: The local library can be a source for borrowing manuals. If they don't have your exact manual, they can usually order it from another library nearby.

On baggies and parts/fasteners (Say that 10 times fast 8O ): When doing larger projects, I undo a wire hanger and poke the labeled baggies onto the hanger and slide them down. This allows for convenient installation in reverse order (but still following the instructions in the manual that I've read multiple times).

Enjoy.

Comment

As with working with any older bike, always keep an impact driver around along with a variety of phillips head screw drivers. The perfect fit is crutial, as sometimes all you get is one chance before the head strips.

Another important item to have is some liquid wrench or wd-40 to help soak into those rusted bolts.

I've found that old fishing tackle boxes are great for holding parts and screws as you can customize the "size" of the section, allowing you to organize a variety of parts/screws...

Comment

And lock your imperial tools in the trunk of your car while working on a GS. Unless ofcourse you need the 7/16", 1/2" or 15/16"

Steve

Comment

The routing of cables (especially ones removed months ago during a "project") is one of the real pains.

I find photos taken during a strip down are invaluable (I love affordable digital cameras!).

Comment

Working...
          X