Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thumping on the front brake. What could be causing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thumping on the front brake. What could be causing it?

When I purchased my motorcycle i was told it fell off a moving truck in the early eighties. I thought the brake thump was caused by a warped rotor so I replaced it last month. The thumping problem persisted after the rotor replacement and after replacing the front pad set. The old pad set was worn at an angle on both pads, kinda like something wasn't aligned quite right. I've noticed that the only thing that seems bent is the fender.

Would a warped fender be enough to skew the brake system (i wouldn't think so) or should I be looking at something else?
    :roll:

81 GS550T

I was helping a friend work on his 81 Goldwing. We noticed his brake pads and the wear on the rotor was on an angle. Then we found the wheel was quite worn where the wheel bearing fits in, noticed this when the bearing just fell out of wheel after removing the axle. I dont really know, I dont work on a lot of bikes, but sounds kinda similar to what you were describing. Wheel actaully not perpendicular to the axil and then rotor not lined up with caliper/pads.

You didnt describe if the clunking is repetitive as a function of speed, or if just once or twice when brakes put on.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

clunking is continuous as long as the brake level is applied. I'll look into the wheel bearings and whatever else people may suggest.

Comment

If it fell out of a truck, maybe your forks are bent.
        Also look at wheel bearings and caliper mounting hardware.

Comment

I agree.........bent forks!

Wheel bearings or improper spacers and front wheel assembly and caliper mounting next.

Remove the front wheel, keep the handlebars and or triple clamps straight with a bungy cord.

Measure from the center of the axel hole on each fork to a reference spot on the frame. A tape measure should do, this will tell you pretty quickly if they are out of shape without removing them.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Dre

Comment

Working...
          X