bike died mid trip HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike died mid trip HELP!!!

I was driving home from school the other day when my bike suddenly lost all power and subsequently stalled. It would not start back up. I pushed the bike to my friends apartment complex (luckily down a hill) and did some adjustments. I got the bike to start and idle but as soon as i cracked the throttle it died.

It seems to be a problem with the fuel system. The bike ran well up to this point. and now I cannot get it back home. Is there anything that you guys can suggest short of a carb rebuild or is my bike making the trip back home in a truck bed?

I appreciate any help. My bike is a '77 gs750 with vm type mikuni carbs.

Are the float bowls actually getting fuel?

Comment

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but weve all done it, is it out of gas. Have you moved the lever to prime and tried it? If it starts, and runs on prime, move it to reserve and if it continues to operate correctly fill the tank and move the tap to run or whatever its called.

Comment

Originally posted by 3phase
        I'm not trying to be a smart ass but weve all done it, is it out of gas. Have you moved the lever to prime and tried it? If it starts, and runs on prime, move it to reserve and if it continues to operate correctly fill the tank and move the tap to run or whatever its called.
        tried that. there is fuel sloshing around in the tank.

Comment

If the bike has the original petcock on it, there is a good chance that crap has infilterated it and wont let gas down below a certain point. I know this from experience. it sounds stupid, I know, but get a gallon or two more gas, refill, restart. From what your describing you have a fuel starvation problem, and the above 'fixes' are teh first place to check, no matter how simple or foolish they sound. Let us know something.

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
            I am not sure, how can i test?

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
              I am unsure how do I test it ?

Comment

fuel sloshing around in the tank is not always enough. Try adding gas. I had the same problem in my current bike when I bought it. It seemed to have enough gas sloshing around in the tank but no, it didnt. Added gas, end of problem. All four (or two) carbs would not screw up all at once, Either you are out of gas or something is preventing the gas from getting to the carbs.

Comment

Before you tear into the carbs stop and think for a minute. The bike was running alright and now it doesn't, it's quite unlikely that all four carbs decided to have a problem at the same time. The bike would actually be rideable on three cylinders and will definitely start on two and respond to some throttle. As mentioned earlier check for gas flow, put the bike on the side stand and removed the float bowl drain on the #1 carb and you should get a few tablespoons of gas come out, then turn the petcock to prime and if don't get any fuel flowing your either out of gas or you have a fuel blockage somewhere upstream from the carbs. A split vacuum hose to the petcock can cause this symptom. If everything is alright with the fuel flow pull a spark plug, #1 will do, attach it to the plug wire, lie it on the cylinder head, hit the starter button and check for a good crisp spark. Another quick note on the gas, if you've just bought gas you may have gotten some contaminated gas. You should notice that when you drain the float bowl. If it's bad gas drain a bunch of gas through the #1 float bowl into a container until it's looks alright, then drain the other three float bowls. Hope some of this helps.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                  https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Do what Sandy said first. This will sound really stupid, but I've done it to my bike and to my daughter's boyfriend's bike. Take the gas cap off and put your mouth on the opening and blow into the tank to pressure it up. Or you can take an air hose and blow into the tank, sealing the opening with a rag.

I don't know why I had to do this, but fuel would not flow until I did and I have not had problems with it since. Be carefull - don't inhale.

Terry

Comment

Well thank you everybody I did get the bike running. and I feel like an absolute moron seeing as that all it needed was a little more gas. Looks like i will definately have to clean/ replace the petcock so I am able to use all of the gas in my tank. Once agin everybody thanks for the advice especially this bit:

Originally posted by TheNose
                      Be carefull - don't inhale
                      Hopefully after a bit more wrenching nder my belt I can be a voice of experience on here helping out the newbs.

have a great season everyone

-Justin

Comment

Originally posted by sagent

Originally posted by TheNose
                        Be carefull - don't inhale

-Justin
                        If it's good enough for Clinton, it's good enough for me.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X