Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Bike As It Stands Now... With Real Pics!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Bike As It Stands Now... With Real Pics!!!

Here is my current project bike. This is the '82 I picked up that has been sitting in a carport for the last 7 - 8 years untouched unless it was in the way and someone puched it over or rolled it out of the way. Let me know what opinions you have as far as a starting point...

Scott

cant get picture, perhaps my dialup conn

Comment

I get no pic.

Comment

webpage

Try Again. had errors.

Comment

Lots of work needed. Where would I start?

First, I'd try to manually turn the motor over. If it's frozen, I'd pull it and find out why. Then I'd decide whether to fix it or part it out based on the damage. If it's the bottom end, then it's definetly too much money for too little bike.

If the motor is good, I would take everything out of the chassis and rebuild from there. If you fix bits and pieces you will be forever fighting problems with that one.

Comment

It will turn manually. Brother in law I got it from tried it with a battery by jumping across the solenoid and it did in fact turn over. I will be doing a complete resto if possible, before I try to drive it, so this will be a long term project. It needs mirrors, ignition switch, possible fuel tank, side panels, wiring harness, rear brake master cylinder, head and tail light assemblies, just for starters. It's not going to be ready for summer by any stretch of the imagination...

Originally posted by Swanny
            Lots of work needed. Where would I start?

First, I'd try to manually turn the motor over. If it's frozen, I'd pull it and find out why. Then I'd decide whether to fix it or part it out based on the damage. If it's the bottom end, then it's definetly too much money for too little bike.

If the motor is good, I would take everything out of the chassis and rebuild from there. If you fix bits and pieces you will be forever fighting problems with that one.

Comment

ew, those pictures of the wiring harness should have a warning. Frightning.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I couldn't agree more! Now to find a good wiring harness and ignition switch!!!

Originally posted by REDMAN

Comment

Sarge, I may have some side covers for it. Let me know if you need them and we'll see what we can work out.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by sarge75801
                    I couldn't agree more! Now to find a good wiring harness and ignition switch!!!

You might be better off just wiring it yourself. These harnesses suck.

Good luck on the resto - time and patience will get you there.

Comment

Dont mean to be harsh but this is a parts bike, for 1/3 of what it will cost to do an even part restore you could by a clean one. tires $200 shocks $125, battery$35 seat cover $100 cream for tank and cleaning boil out $50, side covers ebay $30-50, engine tune and oil filter and valve gskt and adjust tool $100, carbs ? on and on and on

Comment

I should've posted some pics of my wiring harness, you'd had a heart attack..

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. peeps

I have had my share of "Beyond" the grave restos.
                        "I" wanted to do them because I was told it is not worth it, you'd never be able to get your money back out of it, etc etc etc ..
                        Challenges, are what I live for.
                        Bike looks like it is a good candidate for a DIY temperment, and a patient type for sure.

I have been redoing my GS1100 for many moons, picking up pieces off ebay and salvage yards, here and there over the yrs.

Good Luck on YOUR project.

I have about 6 projects going on right now...

Ron

Comment

I can help with some parts, wrecking yard near here just got in two donor bikes, unfortunatly I am not sure the harnesses will work they are a 79 and a 80.
                          the 79 definatly wont work, but the master cylinder (rear) may be useable.

Comment

That's a complete restoration dood. You got your work cut out man.
                            Kudo's to you for having the courage!

Keep us posted, were rooting for you

Comment

'Fraid I have to agree with Gee-s-is on this. That's one rough bike that's gonna swallow a fortune. Fork rechroming/rebuilding, stripped/sheared fasteners, seized callipers, gunked up carbs, fried electrics etc. It's just too far gone. It'd be way cheaper to buy a good clean example and use that one for parts, maybe rebuild the engine as a spare? Incidently, that's a GLT model.

Comment

Working...
                              X