Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Bike As It Stands Now... With Real Pics!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarge,

Scout out what you need, then make a decision from there. Mine wasn't a whole lot better when I dragged it out of a basement last July. I should be riding it in about 2 weeks. Here's a trick I've used on e-bay. When someone has parts listed from the model you have, but not what your after. E-mail the seller and ask if he has what you need. It's worked for me about 3 or 4 times. I got the correct wiring harness for my 83 GS1100E with all the electronics still plugged in(dash controller,flasher,igniter,left hand control,fuse panel including sellinoid and rectifier) for $35.00 just by asking the seller if he had the harness. You just never know. I almost s**t when I opened the parcel. Also, the harness was perfect after 22 years.

Remember,"Cheap is Good, Free is Better"
    Chris

Comment

Hey....at least the pipes look good

If you got the time and the money, and this is just
      a hobbie/learning experiance than....why not.

If your doing this for re-sale....forget it.

Comment

Its not really a matter of cost on restorations its a matter of pride, joy, and something to do to get away from the misses. I have taken two GS that were better off parting out and restored them and a '77 Ford T-Bird with a ciezed motor (its a 460 engine) and had an under hood electrical fire. Of course since it had a big engine I decided to add a little more to now runs about 550hp.

Comment

If the motor is good, it is not that bad, for the love of restoring it is not a bad project.

Replace wiring harness, paint the motor black!

I would sort out the electrical, start up and check the motor, check compression.

Then decide whether to continue or not.

We do not restore for any reason other than the joy of creating and bringing back something from the grave.

Is it worth it money wise............never................unless you keep it forever like me!

If the motor is no good.........forget it, you could probably buy 2 bikes for the cost of the engine rebuild!

Hope this helps!

Dr. Dre

Comment

I like saving old bikes from the junkyard and bringing them back to life. To some the enjoyment is the trip, to others, it's the getting there. I like working on them and seeing what I did. I hope you are the same. Here are some before pictures of my 1980 GS850L and an after picture. It's not perfect, but it is still nice. I have some spare parts that I am willing to share if you need them.

I think I may have spent around $500 on it. I always low bid on ebay and was patient. Let me know if I can help.

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SgCGGAoVXe!KSYZg4KXvGbKa1tG3LIlsudnrEQez65Z9jRYd9 amKK8vaDkwRCaH5lo*TTELikeRtWpTSzXM!svIgbIgRf75a8ih QFSv!06uahR6W0wAu1g/P1010186.JPG[/img]

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by TheNose
              Here are some before pictures of my 1980 GS850L and an after picture. Terry

Impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
                Originally posted by TheNose
                Here are some before pictures of my 1980 GS850L and an after picture. Terry

Impressive!
                Thank you. It looks better in the picture. But it is still nice.

Terry

Comment

Last part of the VIN decal, which is still attached by some miracle, says GS 850 GL Z. The Z is in a box by itself at the end.

Originally posted by Guy
                  'Fraid I have to agree with Gee-s-is on this. That's one rough bike that's gonna swallow a fortune. Fork rechroming/rebuilding, stripped/sheared fasteners, seized callipers, gunked up carbs, fried electrics etc. It's just too far gone. It'd be way cheaper to buy a good clean example and use that one for parts, maybe rebuild the engine as a spare? Incidently, that's a GLT model.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                    'Fraid I have to agree with Gee-s-is on this. That's one rough bike that's gonna swallow a fortune. Fork rechroming/rebuilding, stripped/sheared fasteners, seized callipers, gunked up carbs, fried electrics etc. It's just too far gone. It'd be way cheaper to buy a good clean example and use that one for parts, maybe rebuild the engine as a spare? Incidently, that's a GLT model.
                    GLT would be 1980 model
                    1982 is a GLZ

Comment

I found this reply to a question asking how to tell the year from the vin number.

It is quite easy if your bike is made for the American market and it's from the eighties or newer. You only need to find the identification plate with the VIN number somewhere on the frame of your bike. The tenth (10th) digit in the vehicles VIN code tells the model year of your bike, using the the following year codes:

1980 A
                      1981 B
                      1982 C
                      1983 D
                      1984 E
                      1985 F
                      1986 G
                      1987 H
                      1988 J
                      1989 K
                      etc... skipping not only the I above, but the O, Q U and Z up to 2000
                      2000 Y
                      2001 1
                      etc....

Terry

Comment

Re: My Bike As It Stands Now... With Real Pics!!!

Originally posted by sarge75801
                        Here is my current project bike. This is the '82 I picked up that has been sitting in a carport for the last 7 - 8 years untouched unless it was in the way and someone puched it over or rolled it out of the way. Let me know what opinions you have as far as a starting point...

Scott
                        Wow and I thought the 1980 850 I picked up a year ago was rough, mine looks good now But it took a while, have fun

Comment

My God
                          Thats almost as bad as my 1000 when I brought it home. Oh well, working on bikes is half the fun of owning a bike.

Comment

hey man, I saw you need a rear brake light. I just took my stock one off mine(also a 82 gs850l), mint condition if you want it. If your intrested email me at daredevil416ex@yahoo.com Thanks-darren

Comment

Working...
                            X