Has anyone replaced secondary trans bearings on a "G&qu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone replaced secondary trans bearings on a "G&qu

I have an '82 1100G with 51K on it. The bike looks and runs perfect except for the noise I'm getting from the bearing(s) in the secondary transmission. I understand these can be accessed and replaced from the outside. However, I've also been told that special "Suzuki" tools are needed to perform the job.
    Has anyone done this job successfuly without these special tools OR with the tools and would be willing to sell or rent the tools needed? I like the bike way too much to part with it OR trust such an important repair to a stranger.
    Thanks alot.[/i]

Replacing secondary gear drive

Yes, Al. I've done it. Twice. Here is a piece of one of my previous posts:

Your descriptions still sound like a broken secondary drive. With the bearing preload gone, the gears are not aligned and make a loud whine when under load, and no noise when not under load, ie, accelerating and decelerating. A quick test: Unclamp and pull back the rubber boot where the drive exits the engine/transmission case until you can see the drive shaft coupling. Poke it with a screw driver and see if it moves side-to-side or forward-backward. There should be no movement.

The part can be replaced with the engine in the frame; just loosen all the engine mounts and get ready to pry the engine to the side to get that additional 1/16 inch of clearance you need.
    And loosen the engine case bolts around the secondary drive unit so it can be GENTLY pried out of the case. This is after you have removed the rear wheel and swing arm.

As far as the shims to set the backlash, maybe I was just lucky, but I tranferred the shims from my bike to the new parts, bolted back together, and everything is quiet. The presumption on my part is quiet is good.

The replacement parts cost me $100 at the salvage yard, though I got other quotes up to $175 for just the parts (both the driven and drive gear sets. They are a matched set and must be replaced together)

Comment

Also, no special Suzuki tools were needed as the gear sets were replaced as units.

Comment

I have done the same thing on my 1100. The secondary driven gear had broken at the nut. I did not have to loosen the engine mounts. I also used the shims that came with the used gear set that I found. I was quoted $230 for a new gearset which comes with all the bearings and preload set from M&H honda suzuki etc. in Asheville NC. The large shims that set the backlash are no longer available. If you buy a used gear set you need to make sure to get the shims with it. Also save the shims from your old gear set. If you have difficulty finding a gear set, My local bone-yard has a GK engine for sale. It has over 90k miles on it though. I found that most salvage yards don't want to seperate the gearset from the engine. Good Luck
        Al

Comment

Secondary gear replacement info

Thanks for the responses! IF, after I check things out and realize that I WILL have to replace this assembly, will anyone have the part numbers of the gear assembly (and bearings) that I'll be needing?
          My reason for asking is to make it easier on the parts guys that I'll be calling to locate the parts.

Comment

Working...
          X