tire changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire changing

how hard is it to change a tire on a mag rim? Dose it have to be balanced or it not worth meassing with and just pay some one to do it. thanks

Everything you wanted to know about tire changing (but were afraid to ask)
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

This question comes up once in a while. My opinion is that tubeless tires are pretty easy to work with if you have an air compressor and tubed tires are frustrating. Once you have learned how to change tires it is easy and only takes a minute or two but learning how to do it really sucks. Be prepared to ruin a couple tubes and scratch a few wheels.

Steve

Comment

Most places...not all...will mount and balance the tire free
        if you buy the tire from them.

Otherwise it like,,,,srivett2 says

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
          Most places...not all...will mount and balance the tire free
          if you buy the tire from them.

Otherwise it like,,,,srivett2 says
          And then again many places will still charge you 38 bucks a wheel to do it, like the shops around me. Took me 2 hours a tire first time, it won't take that long next time.

Comment

And then again many places will still charge you 38 bucks a wheel to do it, like the shops around me.
            $22/wheel, off the bike around here. That's the best tire prices in town, though so it balances off a bit.

This question comes up once in a while. My opinion is that tubeless tires are pretty easy to work with if you have an air compressor and tubed tires are frustrating.
            Careful on that quote. Tubeless bias ply are not bad, but radials are a BITCH to do, especially the rear. They have so little sidewall that getting the second bead over the rim is brutal and it is easy to seriously scar the rim with irons. A machine is the only reasonable way to do them without a lot of swearing and damage.

Mark

Comment

The Kawasaki shop around here charges me $20/tire off the bike. I don't mess with my street tires, it's not worth it to me. I do all of my mechanical work and even change the dirt bikes tires, but I leave this job to the guys with the equipment to do it right.

Comment

I dunno, I find "tubefull" tires to be a LOT easier than tubeless! I just take them to my buddy's shop, he's got a machine. I don't remember what he charges me, because I rarely have to change tires unless I'm buying a new one, from him. 8)

Actually, ever tried mounting a 5.10x18 knobby on a rim that has two rim locks with only a foot pump for seating? LOTS of fun!
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

What do y'all think about this gadget:

And add the motorcycle tire attachment:

The prices seem pretty reasonable if the device works.

I can't sort out how the heck it works, but as soon as we sell our house and move, I'm getting an air compressor and whatever I need to change my own motorcycle tires. Most of the shops around here flatly refuse to mount tires unless you buy them through the shop at their ridiculous prices. A few will mount carry-in tires for $30 to $36 each.

The best deals I've found locally (Indianapolis) charge $15 to $25 a tire above the delivered prices you could get from any of the online dealers. If you need to order a tire, you'll pay full retail plus a markup and wait several days.

It's a pretty rotten situation all around, and it seems pretty universal all around the world. And I think it's ridiculous.

There's only one place locally (Cycle Outfitters) that keeps a pretty healthy stock of tires on hand. They tell you that mounting and balancing (wheels off the bike) is free, but they just tack on about $20 to the tire's price.

I burn up at least two sets of tires a season, so I could certainly pay for a tire changing machine pretty quickly. Plus, I'd have access to a much wider selection of tires, probably from a fresher stock.

Tires are, financially speaking, the worst part of owning a motorcycle.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have the Harbor Freight set up installed in my garage. It's completely manual, no compressed air needed (except to refill the tires of course). I'm pretty happy with it. It's got a built in bead breaker, which is better than half the battle with tubeless tires in my opinion. It's real slick for dismounting tires. For mounting them, I use the machine to hold the rim, but mainly use tire irons to reinstall the tire. I've done a few dozen sets of tires, radials (tubeless) bias ply (tubed and tubeless) and dirt bike tires. Beats hell outta fumbling with a C clamp to break the bead and wrestling with a tire on the ground. I've seen the above listed web site and it looks pretty decent. I think that the Harbor Freight machine would be easier in dismounting, but reinstalling would be about equal. I ended up with the machine and the motorcycle adapter for about $75 (bought it at the local store on sale and no shipping). I'm happy with it.

Comment

Thanks, tri, that's exactly what I was wondering about!

Anyone wanna buy my house so I can hurry up and move to a bigger house with more room for my GS and associated paraphenalia...?

Anyway, how big an air compressor would one need for a personal garage? I might use an air ratchet sometimes, but mainly I'd use it for mounting motorcycle tires, blowing out clogged passageways of all sorts, and stuff like that. No painting or air drills, but I might think about a bead blasting cabinet eventually.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                        Thanks, tri, that's exactly what I was wondering about!

Anyone wanna buy my house so I can hurry up and move to a bigger house with more room for my GS and associated paraphenalia...?

Anyway, how big an air compressor would one need for a personal garage? I might use an air ratchet sometimes, but mainly I'd use it for mounting motorcycle tires, blowing out clogged passageways of all sorts, and stuff like that. No painting or air drills, but I might think about a bead blasting cabinet eventually.
                        12 gallon minimum, I have a 20 with an auxillary 10 gallon tank for tough jobs.

Comment

My buddy has the "semi-automatic" model at his shop. Works like a hot damn. No sweating, cursing, or mangled fingers involved!
                          Kevin
                          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                          X