GS400S tune up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS400S tune up

I just bought this bike. 1985 (built in 84) GS400s, I can't seem to get it to idle low worth a crap. I pulled off the gas tank to look at the carbs and the petcock didn't seem to work, there were 3 positions, "res" reserve, "on" on, and "pri" what does "pri" stand for, the gas kept flowing anyway. I can't seem to find an owners or shop manual for it anywhere, any business I talk to doesn't seem to believe such a bike exsists. Suzuki won't return my E-mails, any advice? I don't even know the spark plug gap. Thanx :twisted:

well if you are in America, that is a understandable reaction, they did not sell the 8 valve 400 in America.
    just the fourvalve and only up to 78
    PRI stands for prime, it is used after a bike has sat for a while or after servicing the carbs, if you have flow all the time (with engine off) the plunger in the petcock is stuck or the spring is bad.

Comment

Pri stands for Prime.
      When it is set to Prime the gas flows whether or not the engine is running. It is handy for when the bike has been sitting for a while and the bowls are empty because the gas has all evaporated. You can put the petcock to Prime for 20-30 seconds to fill the bowls.

When it is set to Run or Reserve, the gas will flow only when the engine is running. There is a diaphram in the petcock that is operated by vacuum from the engine.

Bike Bandit shows a Clymer manual for GS400-450 twins 1977-1987 which, I assume, would cover your model - http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...id~1195903.asp

Comment

I've got that manual and it is no good for the 8 valve 400E. I've heard there is a Haynes manual that covers all of the twins but that would mean 1 manual covering 9 years and 4 different bikes.

Steve

Comment

I bought the Haynes manual. I found the reference on the UK haynes site. The 8 valve motor was used in Canada, the UK, and (I believe) Aus, and NZ, during the years that the US received the 450.

My brother has the book now, and I could get the ISBN number in a day opr so.

The Clymer manual is next to useless.

SV

Comment

ISBn For Book

1-85010-253-8

ISBN for Haynes manual for Suzuki GS & GSX 250, 400 & 450 Twins Owners Workshop Manual

Authors: Chris Rogers, Pete Shoemark

c Haynes Publishing Group 1990

Printed inEngland 736-7p6

Comment

Working...
            X