Well my father gave it to me but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well my father gave it to me but...

he gave me his gs450ga. so i figure i'll fix it up and save gas.
    All that was wrong with it when he parked TEN years ago was to put the carb back on. I figure the motor is probly good and seized now.
    Is there any thing i can do for this, liquid or something?

things i've noticed
    -battery
    -tank needs to be sealed
    -tires
    -cant find bolts to put everything back on!?

Any thing else i should do or look for?

Is it worth it? I appreciate it

GS 450

My GS750 sat for about 7 years, and the engine was just fine. I had to rebuild the carbs, calipers, master cylinders, and the petcock. The battery is a nominal expense. tires are a wear item, and most of the other stuff, EXCEPT the tank needing sealing, is no big deal. You can always buy metric hardware, a lot of stuff can still be ordered through a dealer or is available aftermarket. Put some Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and turn it over eitherby using the kickstarter with the ignition off, or put it in gear and push it enough to get the cylinder walls lubricated. If your tank isn't rusty, and is only leaking from the petcock, you can rebuild that. You probably need the o-rings between the head and manifolds and the manifolds and carbs. You might need new rubber manifolds if they are dried out and cracked. Might as well lube cables, wheel bearings, etc. You'll probably be surprised at how well the motor has stood up. This website has all the information and most of the parts you'll need. If you're at all mechanically-inclined, I would say go for it! And the price is right!
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

The problem i see is it sat that long with the carb off and no protection.
      i dont even think it has a kickstart.
      The tank is rusty but no problem.

I guess i'll give it a shot!

Comment

go for it man!

if he had the carbs off for cleaning, thatll be sweet! if not, check the valve clearances (using feeler gauge) and you should be able to turn the crankshaft slowly, and see how it goes.

change oil.

Comment

Remove the spark plugs and put it into high gear & see if you can turn the engine using the rear wheel.

Comment

I'll throw my .02 in again.....

Get a can of Marvel Mystery Oil and pour a little bit into each spark plug hole before you try turning it over. This will help break any rust that's welded the rings to the wall, and lubricate too.

Comment

The carbs were rebuilt and stored away,look very nice.
              i think we have some mystery oil around somewhere.

Found two more problems though

-Exhaust is rusted out
              - was told stator was bad

But 1st things 1st
              thanks for your advice, well see what happens

bryan

Comment

bad stator

If you search these pages, you'll find a troubleshooting guide to stator/ regulator/rectifier problems. If the stator is bad, or the r/r, I recommend searching for Electrex (The US manager, Ritzo, has posted here before; he's a good guy, and will answer questions on the phone) as their stators have higher output than stock, and are cheaper.
                1979 GS 1000

Comment

Didnt realize a stator was this expensive hmmmm.
                  Friendly and helpful customer support that goes above and beyond. We help you get the perfect domain name.

Comment

Re: bad stator

Originally posted by jknappsax
                    If you search these pages, you'll find a troubleshooting guide to stator/ regulator/rectifier problems. If the stator is bad, or the r/r, I recommend searching for Electrex (The US manager, Ritzo, has posted here before; he's a good guy, and will answer questions on the phone) as their stators have higher output than stock, and are cheaper.
                    Electrex has apparently changed manufacturers and they have had most stuff on backorder for eons and aren't expecting stuff in for a couple weeks at best then plan to send a bunch of them to distributers who have been waiting and getting impatient. If you can wait, I'd get it from Dennis Kirk. Instead of $151 plus $15 to ship Dennis Kirk has the same stator for like $133 including shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by 450auto
                      The carbs were rebuilt and stored away,look very nice.
                      i think we have some mystery oil around somewhere.

Found two more problems though

-Exhaust is rusted out
                      - was told stator was bad

But 1st things 1st
                      thanks for your advice, well see what happens

bryan
                      Don't rely on someone elses diagnosis of a problem. Do your own tests. It could just be some connections.

Comment

All of the above plus a squirt of two stroke mix in the carb throats at startup time to give the upper cylinders and valve stems a little lube during those first crucial seconds after startup before the engine supplies its own oil to take over its duties.

Comment

Don't condem the stator untill after you get it running & can test it

Forgot to mention YOU can also turn the motor from the ign timing unit with a 17mm wrench

Comment

Well i got it out today, looks like i'm going to have to take the head off and clean all the junk out. looks like there was something living there.

thats were i'm at right now

ps anyone want a parts bike? lol

Comment

ooh ooh!! birdhouse!!

just poking fun, that sucks. otherwise, I was going to say that you can replace the regulator/rectifier for pretty cheap from ebay, and there are other bike models and makes that can be substituted, and the stator can be re-wound (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time) or replaced with something found on ebay.

just so you don't scrap it too soon!! try a search on stators and reg/rec's to see what's already been said here!

best of luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X