Difficulties to start my GS 1000 G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficulties to start my GS 1000 G

I owned a 1979 GS 1000 G that I use every day to go to work...
    My bike sleeps outdoor (in Belgium), I have full choke druing the night. Each morning I am scared that she will not start.
    The starter engine turns but seems to have difficulties to move the pistons or whatsoever inside making a slow WOW, WOW, WOW while turning.
    After 3 to 4 trials it, finally starts but I think it should start much easily.
    This is done even worth when the engine is hot...
    Olivier

If it is a bit slow turning, I would suspect the battery may be getting close to the end of its useful life. Try fully charging it and testing the elctrical system. If it is still a bit slow to turn, time for a new one.

Comment

If the battery is good? it could be that you need new brushes in the starter

Comment

the "slow-wow-wow-wow" is not brushes' fault... it's the voltage, I guess.

so check again the battery and starter relay and the connections.

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        If the battery is good? it could be that you need new brushes in the starter

Comment

With a good battery and slow turning of the starter engine, you probably need new brushes in the starter engine. Or the brushes just might be stuck and cleaning them would do the job.

Comment

I justbought and installed a new battery and I still have the same concern. How do I clean the brushes? Where is the starter engine located? Is it difficult, long???
            Thank you.
            Olivier

Comment

Originally posted by Olivier
              I justbought and installed a new battery and I still have the same concern. How do I clean the brushes? Where is the starter engine located? Is it difficult, long???
              Thank you.
              Olivier
              If You have a volt meter, check the voltage when You try to start the engine...

the starter motor is located behind the cylinder block under an aluminium cover (3 bolts). there are 2 black thick wires coming out of there. The starter motor must be removed and opened to get to touch with the brushes.

Comment

Working...
              X