Gas in the air filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas in the air filter

Hello all, I have a 81 GS550 L that I bought last fall. It runs somewhat , so thanks to the forum here, I started messing with the carbs. SO.....

my father in law being the bike genious he is, reconnects the gas line into the air filter. When we turned on the p'cock, I had gas pouring out of the air filter.

OK, so how much damage did we do? I figured I can try cleaning the filter/ element with a solvent. Any suggestions on this?

Oh, the bottom line issue is that when it is cold, I need starter fluid to get the bike running. I am still tinkering with the carbs. I might ride it sometime this summer. I live north of Chicago. Don't be looking for my bike out anytime soon.

Re: Gas in the air filter

Originally posted by Razor
    Hello all, I have a 81 GS550 L that I bought last fall. It runs somewhat , so thanks to the forum here, I started messing with the carbs. SO.....

my father in law being the bike genious he is, reconnects the gas line into the air filter. When we turned on the p'cock, I had gas pouring out of the air filter.

OK, so how much damage did we do? I figured I can try cleaning the filter/ element with a solvent. Any suggestions on this?

Oh, the bottom line issue is that when it is cold, I need starter fluid to get the bike running. I am still tinkering with the carbs. I might ride it sometime this summer. I live north of Chicago. Don't be looking for my bike out anytime soon.
    To fix the original problem, you could use a carb balance, and if you haven't done so in the last year or two, probably a thorough cleaning is in order. See the "GS Carb Cleaning Series" for more on that. Do the carbs right once as a set and then don't touch them. You'll never get the four carbs working together again once you mess with them one at a time. (Unless you do a whole fresh balance procedure again.)

As for the gas pouring ointo the airbox, if the gas touched the foam filter it probably washed out the oil. Re-oil the foam filter.

Other than that, gas in the airbox probably didn't do any damage. It happens all the time, but usually when the petcock breaks internally and gas floods into the airbox from the carbs.

And last, if you don't have a manual for your bike, get one. Clymer is OK, and the factory manual is ideal.

Cheers
    Michael

Comment

Accually gas will help the air filter deteriorate prematurly. Might wanna replace the element with a new element sometime soon.-darren

Comment

Can almost promise you that the following will solve your starting problems if the bike idles fine when warm:

1. Pull off the float bowls from the carbs.
        2. On the carb body, where the float bowl was there should be a small brass tube with a tiny, tiny hole in the bottom of it. Take a small piece of wire and push it through the hole. Try and break up any blockage in there.
        3. Where the tube goes in the bottom of the float bowl, there is a port going from the bowl area and where the tube sits. Make sure this port is free using the wire (it's a tiny port as well).

This is called the starter jet. I have acid dipped carbs and still had this jet plugged, because each and every port in the starter jet circuit is tiny. Even a small sewing needle won't fit in there.

Let me know if I am right!
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Jethro and everyone else who has posted in the past... thanks for the help. I think Jethro sounds the most basic thing to do of all before rebuilding them. Great idea!

I will give it a shot tonight! (if my wife lets me out in the garage) :roll:

Comment

Re: Gas in the air filter

Originally posted by Razor
            Oh yeah, another bit of advice. Keep the old guy AWAY from the wacky tabacky while working on the bike!
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
            X