Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator/RR/Battery...again...

?83 GS650GLD

I have searched this forum for a post containing a problem similar to what I?m experiencing. Last winter I replaced my stator and battery. All last season my electrical system work perfectly, charging 13.5, at idle, and up to 14.5, when at speed. This past winter I hooked my battery (while still on the bike) up to a Battery Tender Junior, to hopefully prevent having to purchase another battery at the start of this season. So, last weekend I broke the bike out for the first ride, everything seemed okay, except for a minor hesitation which I was contributing to ?old gas?. On my second ride, after about 5-10 minutes into the ride I noticed my voltage dropping down to 10 or 9 volts, so I immediately headed towards home. Later that night, I restarted the bike and it was holding a little over 12 volts, but as the bike warmed up, voltage started to drop.

I have cleaned all charging system connections and I am following the testing chart found within the Stator Papers and I am pretty sure my stator is okay but when performing the last test, RR diode test, I am getting some weird readings. Just to double check, the diode test is between the red out and the other three RR input wires (not the ground) and between the black ground and the other three RR input wires (not the red output), correct?

So, here are my questions:

1) Can some one please give better directions for performing the RR diode tests?
    2) After reading many posts in this forum, it seems that when an RR fails you usually get higher voltage reading, not lower, correct?
    3) If all the tests on the stator are positive, can I assume that the RR has failed?
    4) Could using the Battery Tender Junior when the battery was still connect to the bike contributed to my problems?
    5) Could my electrical problems be causing my hesitation felt when accelerating?

THANKS!

Re: Stator/RR/Battery...again...

Originally posted by mjwGS650GL
    ?83 GS650GLD

I have cleaned all charging system connections and I am following the testing chart found within the Stator Papers and I am pretty sure my stator is okay but when performing the last test, RR diode test, I am getting some weird readings.
    1) Can some one please give better directions for performing the RR diode tests?
    2) After reading many posts in this forum, it seems that when an RR fails you usually get higher voltage reading, not lower, correct?
    3) If all the tests on the stator are positive, can I assume that the RR has failed?
    4) Could using the Battery Tender Junior when the battery was still connect to the bike contributed to my problems?
    5) Could my electrical problems be causing my hesitation felt when accelerating?

THANKS!
    I also got some "strange" readings using the stator papers RR tests.

Here is the Suzuki test provided by another GSR member:

You can check you regulator/rectifier by following the Suzuki procedure below.

With the r/r removed from the bike, fins pointing up and terminals facing you, the terminals from left to right will be A, B, C, D, and E.
    Negative probe on A and positive on B you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
    Negative probe on A and positive on C you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
    Negative probe on A and positive on D you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
    Negative probe on A and positive on E you should get 50-70 ohms.

Then switch the negative probe to terminal B and place the positive probe on A, C, then D, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to C and positive to A, B, then D, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to D and positive to A, B, then C, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to E, positive to A, B, C, and D should give no reading.

Hope you can follow what I am outlining here.

#1. This test worked for me and seemed to make more sence.
    Of course, you can see from my recent thread on ( charging system puzzle) That I am still confused.

#2 My bike shows lower readings, as per my post. But it is still a unknown if this is due to the RR or some yet to be found cause.

#3 I don't think that is always 100% true. Try the Suz. RR test and let us know what you find. We can compare results.

#4. I don't believe that would contribute to your problem.

#5. Not sure on that one. But I don't think the hesitation would be a symtom. At least it was not on my bike.

Good luck,
    Maybe we can figure out this never ending charging mystery with a little help from our friends.
    Charlie

Comment

Their is the possibility that the bad stator from last year damaged the reg/rect It just took awhile to finally fail or just failed on it own

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        Their is the possibility that the bad stator from last year damaged the reg/rect It just took awhile to finally fail or just failed on it own
        Ahh,
        Good point. I thought he said he repalced the stator and RR. But upon re-reading the post. It was the stator and Batt. replaced.
        My bad.
        Charlie

Comment

Thanks LandscapeMan!

For the five series of tests, here's what I got: 8O

1) Neg on A
          -All others dead (OF)

2) Neg on B
          -A = OF
          -C = 4.1 M Ohm
          -D = 5.0 M Ohm
          -E = .276 K Ohm

3) Neg on C
          -A = OF
          -B = 18.0 M Ohm
          -D = 18.0 M Ohm
          -E = 14.0 M Ohm

3) Neg on D
          -A = OF
          -B = 16.0 M Ohm
          -C = 13.4 M Ohm
          -E = 7.3 M Ohm

3) Neg on E
          -A = OF
          -B = .273 K Ohm
          -C = 4.27 M Ohm
          -D = 5.02 M Ohm

I even went back and rechecked all my readings in case a did not have propper contact during the first round and I was able to get a second reading close to the first. So... according to Suzuki's test outline, I don't think my RR is working within specs

I think I am now ready to shell out the $$$ and get a new RR. I should have replaced it when I replaced my stator. :?

Thanks for all your help!!

Comment

Well it does look like your RR is toast.
            As I think I said before. The 2 OEM Suz. RR I tested passed the first four lines of tests. But failed the last.

The Hon and Electrix RR passed all of the tests.

Appears I maybe chasing some other demon other than the stator or RR.
            Time will tell if I ever solve that problem.

What type of stator did you install?

You may want to consider the Hon RR route. I think the Electrix is $125 including shipping or there about. Let me know before you buy.

Better yet. Why don't I mail you my Electrix RR. It passed the Suz RR test.
            Put it on your bike and see if it works.

I am located in Columbia Md. Let me know if I can help.
            Charlie

Comment

I installed a Electrix stator last Feburary. The RR I am now looking at is an Electrix RR from Dennis Kirk for about $108.

This all came about cause I am trying to sell my 650. In fact, I had just submitted to my local paper an ad when I took my fateful ride which let me know my electrical system was not ready to be sold. :? Luckily I was able to pull the ad before the paper printed.

Comment

Originally posted by mjwGS650GL
                I installed a Electrix stator last Feburary. The RR I am now looking at is an Electrix RR from Dennis Kirk for about $108.

Well instead of spending the $108. I will send you mine for free. If it fixes it
                I will know that I am chasing another problem. If you can figure out my problem. I will hand deliver the RR to you, and install it.

My email:
                morar@connext.net
                Drop me a line tonight and I will get it in the mail tomorrow.
                Charlie

Comment

Working...
                X