Drive Chain.. arrrgggg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive Chain.. arrrgggg

I havn't yet been happy with my chain, either it's too loose and makes noise or it's too tight and really makes noise, maybe the noise is because it's not lubed enough, I get a small clunking from it as I ride, could there be a tight spot in it? should I take it off and soak it some how?? sugestions for tightening it and adjusting the tire corectly

this is on an 85 GS700E

Thanks
    Jim

How manny miles on the chain?? it may be time for a new one. Some of the links could have rusted over the winter

Comment

The clunking could be a seized up link, could be from misaligned sprockets, or it could be a wheel bearing going out.

Check em all.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I'm sure it's the original chain, or I bet it is, as for miles, one doesn't know, I bought the bike with the wrong odometer reading so I'm figuring 30-40 thousand? the bike is 20 yrs so 2000 a year is realistic I would imagine. could a seized link be "Unsiezed"?

Comment

Originally posted by GS700Jim
          I'm sure it's the original chain, or I bet it is, as for miles, one doesn't know, I bought the bike with the wrong odometer reading so I'm figuring 30-40 thousand? the bike is 20 yrs so 2000 a year is realistic I would imagine. could a seized link be "Unsiezed"?
          What, you don't think 30-40k out of a chain is enough? Loosen up the wallet and get a new chain and sprocket and save the posting space.

Comment

I agree about getting a new chain. A chain in that condition can snap and ruin the cases, etc, and maybe get you wrecked. 8O
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Sorry about the "posting space" do you buy as for that bike or have it made up? zuke dealer? I do want it safe,

Comment

Originally posted by GS700Jim
                Sorry about the "posting space" do you buy as for that bike or have it made up? zuke dealer? I do want it safe,
                I guess I should have said it a bit better. The space isn't a problem, at least to me. I'm just having a hard time believing that you think a chain should last more than 40k miles and 20 years. I shouldn't ask, but are you on your first set of tires also?

You can get the chain from any number of outlets. When you buy it get new sprockets for the front and rear also. Get an o-ring chain. I doubt it will go another 20 years, but they last the longest.

Comment

Swanny, day after day, you keep me rolling. You have to be the world's funniest engineer. :-) :-)

Earl :-)

[quote="Swanny"]
                  I guess I should have said it a bit better. The space isn't a problem, at least to me. I'm just having a hard time believing that you think a chain should last more than 40k miles and 20 years. I shouldn't ask, but are you on your first set of tires also?
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Jim, pardon Swanny. I think he was snowed in all day.

Take your old chain to the local shop and match it up. Get the same number links, size. O-ring chains last longer and are more expensive though. I've found Maxima chain wax to be the best lube out there.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I keep my chain at 1.5" of slack and it's perfect there. Keep in mind that there will almost always be a tighter spot on the chain. I'm not talking about a tight link or anything, just a chain that gets tighter in tension somewhere along the rotation. Find that spot and adjust the chain to 1.5 inches of free play (vertival movement). It might sound like too much, but it's not.

I learned the hard way with my '81. Toasted new sprokets and chain in about 1000 miles becuase I thought keeping it tight would be better.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Factory manuals generally give you a range for chain sag of somewhere around 1.2" to 1.6" or thereabouts. When the chain is new, set it for the minimum sag, check it every few hundred miles, and with some luck, it will initially stretch a few tenths of an inch, and stay within the factory recommendations.

I'm beginning to think that with modern o-ring and x-ring chains, if they are properly maintained, one really shoudln't need to adjust them other than when tires are replaced.
                        sigpic

SUZUKI:
                        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

That has been my experience. Once a chain is set up and the natural slack adjustment for the bike/rider combination has been found, I dont need to adjust my chain between replacing tires. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Griffin

I'm beginning to think that with modern o-ring and x-ring chains, if they are properly maintained, one really shoudln't need to adjust them other than when tires are replaced.
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

All three of my manuals say 0.8" to 1.3" of slack at the tightest spot in the chain.

That has been my experience. Once a chain is set up and the natural slack adjustment for the bike/rider combination has been found, I dont need to adjust my chain between replacing tires.
                            Agreed.
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks Guys, I will be picking up my new chain at the Zuke dealer today, 40 bucks, not a o ring but they said for my bike it will be fine, for now it will be good, and if I keep this bike for a long time I will change it.
                              I asked them about the sprockets they said just make sure the teeth are good, no chips or broken, they were good and not trying to just sell me anything. I will clean and inspect them .hopefully get it on by the end of the week.

Comment

Working...
                              X