oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak

I've been registered here before but moved and changed internet services so have had to re register. I've posted several questions in the past here's my latest. I took my bike out for the second time this year it ran well, or as well as it ever has, before I got going I noticed that the oil was low so I added a quart, it had leaked some over the winter. I started it up let it warm up then rode for about twenty minutes or so when I pulled back in the drive way and shut it off oil was pouring from a black tube out the bottom of the bike, not dripping, pouring. it stopped on it's own but when i restarted the bike it started up again but not as bad. Is this some sort of overflow? could I have addded too much oil or is there more to it than this? any info would be appreciated as I am mechanically challenged.

thanks in advance,

Ok Collin
    The black tube out the bottom of your bike could be the drain for the air box, if your box is stock that is. I'm not sure, but I think all the stock air box's have a drain tube regardless of model year. If the tube IS the air box drain then you are getting oil into the air box through the crankcase breather tube. This run's from the top of the head to the air box under your gas tank. The factory crankcase vent is set up this way for two reason's. The air will be filtered by the air cleaner for your carbs, and any emissions from your crankcase will be drawn into the carbs and thus burned in the engine instead of being released into the enviroment. If you are getting that much oil in there the problem might be that oil being pumped up into the valve train is not draining back down to the oil pan fast enough, the drain passages in the engine could be clogged. Or the breather in the top of the head could be clogged up as well. This can cause pressure to build up and the oil can be pushed out into the breather tube. It may also be allot of blow by caused by worn rings and/or valve seal/ guide wear, though if this was the case the engine would probably run rough and foul spark plugs.
    Check to see if this "black tube" is infact your air box drain and work your way to the engine from there. It might be( if your lucky) a matter of cleaning the breather for the crankcase located on top of the head. This can get fouled up from not changing the oil as regularly as one should, or from using cheap oil, or both.

Comment

Thanks keith, I'll take a look. The box is stock as far as I know, I got the bike for a dollar from someone who wasn't using it anymore. Hopefully it will be the easier of my options here, I had thought all I needed going into this season was new front rubber.
      Thanks again

Comment

Make sure you don't have gas in the oil also

Comment

what new exciting problem would that mean?
          also, the breather on top of the head, isi it fairly easy to deal with?
          if the problem is the drain passages in the engine how much trouble am I in?

Comment

Working...
          X