Help, NO Clutch, WHat did I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, NO Clutch, WHat did I do?

Can anyone shed some light on my situation? I have a 79'GS550EN and spent the day putting a new chain and sprockets on the bike. Now I have no clutch. The "rod" that comes out of the transmission behind the front sproket plate floats free (I can pull it out and push it in). Is it supposed to? The clutch release seems to be working fine and I have proper tension at the clutch handle. I see nothing visibly worng...

I really don't want to trailer it in to the dealer as I am sure they will charge me a fortune for the repair...

Help

The rod should move, it's also the first place to lookif you bike is leaking oil. I would take the cover back off and look at the adjustment mech

Comment

isnt there a ball in the release mech?
      if it falls out you wont be able to release the clutch.
      i assume that you cannot release it.correct me otherwise.

Comment

The "rod" that comes out of the transmission behind the front sproket plate floats free (I can pull it out and push it in).
        Like how much can you pull it out? a few mils is normal, but anything more and I'd say you either have a broken shift rod, or it has slipped off the gears behind the clutch. Pull the clutch, you'll be able to see the other side of that rod.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I think he is talking about the clutch push rod NOT the shifter shaft. Check on item #15 here the push rod fits into it It may not be going all the way in or it could have mover out of position

Comment

The rod that moves in and out of the tranny freely is the clutch pushrod (I think...) it does not move a few mm but rather several inches (I didn't dare go further). See Item # 1 of the clutch release drawing.

The clutch is always disengaged (i.e. I can pop the gears in).

I would think that that rod "should" attach to something as looking at the picture (link above) that their is a worm gear on the end of it.

PS, the clutch was fine before I did the chain maintenance...

Thanks for any and all help.

Comment

Just to give everyone an update. I tore open the tranny only to find the push-rod was indeed working OK to the clutch. It seems that the clutch plates are sticking a little and with the bike up on the stand their is not enough drag to stop the tire while in gear. When I put it down on the ground and started it I got a "clunk" and a tug on the bike from the rear wheel but all seems OK.

Now I feel a bit foolish for tearing open the tranny....

Comment

That is normal for the rear wheel to turn when on the centerstand.
                That's why we need as much detail as possible when posting problems

Comment

Working...
                X