New Piston, or just rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Piston, or just rings?

Ok, first off, this has nothing to do with my bike. I'm refreshing my 3 wheelers top end, a 84 Honda 200x for any who care.

So on to the question: When can you do just rings on the existing piston, and hone the cylenders to break the glaze, and if I can do just rings, do I have to get oversized ones to match the worn cyl?. When do you need to bore the cyl and get an oversized piston? Am I better off just going with the new piston to save work down the road? One thing I checked is the out-of-round for the cyl, it's perfect down to .001.

Thanks!

If it shows minimual wear Just put standard rings You would only use oversized if you rebored the cylinder[img][/img]

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      If it shows minimual wear Just put standard rings You would only use oversized if you rebored the cylinder[img][/img]
      I haven't gotten my bearings yet, what's 'minimal'? Do you tell by the piston to cylender clearance, or is it something else I should be looking at? The piston I have looks fine, no holes, scratches etc.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

.003-.005" piston to cylinder wall clearance is nice, if you don't have a ridge at the top of the cylinder wall, you should be OK to just crossshatch and re-assemble

Comment

Working...
        X