Oh my god.. She's dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Empty battery

This seems very clear as a dead battery. It's exactly the error one can expect. The bike won't start when the starter is draining the almost empty battery. It idled badly before it died, because it almost doesn't charge at all when idling, even with a healthy regulator. With a bad battery under a voltage, say 10V, the ignition system can't build up enough energy in the coil to deliver a spark. Machine dies.

I have had the same problem with a empty battery. My machine stopped when I turned on the headlight. No headlight took me back.

It's extremely easy to just check the battery voltage, or to charge the battery overnight. Just do it, and you'll be sure that's not it. A empty battery shows appr 9-10V, not 12-12.

If you don't want to buy a new Electrex rectifier unit, buy a used one from a junkyard. Any Suzuki will do, mine is from a 1999 bike. They won't break. Otherwise I guess a Honda or some other brands would work as well. There's no magic involved, just a 3-phase alternator and a 12V battery.

/ Henrik

Comment

Hey Mookie,

Did you figure out what was wrong with the bike.

Roman

Comment

As far as I can tell, yes I have figured out what's wrong (not 100%but close) Seems that indeed that stator is burned out, so i've got one coming in from ebay. I wish I could have been able to aford a nice new electrex one but in about the same time frame and for $50 including shipping, I'm getting a used one (he said it was "bench" tested and it works fine) from someones gs1100. Had quite the bidding war, I was finally able to use my Motor City Online experience for something! (Worked on that game for about a year and a half, It's a game where you build up old hotrods and race them against others online, all the while bidding on parts in the games "ebay", kind of addictive but not if you're forced to play it) So right now i'm waiting on that stator to come in the mail ;(. My mechanic buddy says he already has a regulator that he'll give me along with the bits of wiring that i'll need as well. Just got my gasket yesterday, so everything should be ready to go soon, i hope. I'll definely keep everyone here informed as to my progress. I should be able to start working on it next week

Comment

Ah yes, er, well, no. Turns out my stator was fine (now I have 2) but it looks like I need a regulator now, because my friends didn't seem to work at all. After putting the stator back in and running the bike it was giving out about 95 volts so I don't think it could be that anymore. I wish I had tested it out BEFORE removing it (actually the mechanic removed it) . I've heard many different regulators will fit. Are there some that are better than others? I think the parts place north of me (Bent Bike) has one from an 1100, I'm just going to assume it will bolt right in unless anyone here tells me different. Man I hope this works because I've only got like 2 more days of sun left *sigh*

Comment

Working...
          X