Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to start with a bike that sat for 2 years???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start with a bike that sat for 2 years???

Hello,

I own two 1980 GS450's. One is currently ready for the road and the other is in dyer need of attention. I just purchased the second one for $50 off ebay.

Anyway, the bike sat for 2 years that I know of (maybe longer). I don't know what to do to the engine to prep it before I trying to start it. The gas that was left in the tank wasn't gas anymore and the gear shift is very stiff. I have the tank, seat, and exhaust off the bike already. I was going to rebuild the top half of the engine this weekeand. Replace head gasket, cam cover gasket, and redo the timing of the bike. Along with this I am going to change the oil and filter and soak the carbs in gas.

What else should I check/do to the bike before I try and start the engine?

Much appreciated!

-David

If the bike has been sitting for some time you're going to have many tasks to perform before the bike runs properly.
    Here's some advice I gave to somemone:
    I've "restored" two GS450 bikes that had been sitting for long periods (mine and a friend's) so I've encountered almost all the typical issues.
    You will almost certainly need to do a thorough carb cleaning. The fact that it started up is deceptive. It will not produce smooth, full power till you get those carbs spotless. Your air filter element, air box and all boots that connect to the carbs will have to be checked (any air leaks and all bets are off - see my other posts about this). Your regulator/rectifier and stator should be checked (as described in the garage section of this site). It is also likely that you'll have some loose and/or dirty electrical connections.
    Some of the cables may need lubrication and adjustment. Of course, you will need a new battery.
    If you've never done any of the above stuff then it will take you a while to learn it all and to acquire the right tools - anywhere between 25 and 60 hours of work - I'm trying to be realistic here based on my own experience. The second time I did a "restore" (on my friend's GS450) it went much, much faster. A Clymer's manual is a must.
    If you're in no rush and you enjoy wrenching an hour or two a night then I'd say go for it. If not, you could take it to shop and pay an arm-and-a-leg for them to do half-baked job that you'll have to "finish up" - once again, I'm speaking from personal experience I had with a Honda many years ago.

Here's some more:
    You had a running bike before the carb rebuild, so I'd guess your main problem is with the carbs. However, it is possible that other factors are just borderline enough that a slightly worse carb situation would expose those issues as well.
    Before tearing the carbs down again, verify all the easy stuff first:
    1. Put in brand new plugs - I can't tell you how much time I've wasted just to finally realize that my plugs were so wet and fouled that the bike had no chance of starting. This is especially common after doing carb related stuff.
    2. Verify your air filter element and box and boots are all set up properly and that there are NO air leaks.
    3. Using those new plugs, check that each one is sparking. If the bike is properly carbureted, even a faily weak spark should ignite the fuel/air mixture.
    4. Verify that your petcock is letting fuel through to all carbs.
    If all of the above checks out OK and you still can't get her started, then it's time to tear into those carbs again. Make sure your floats aren't leaking (there should be no liquid sloshing around inside of them) - I once overlooked that very important test and spent many hours fiddling with other things till I remebered to check if my floats were leaking. Sure enough, one of them was leaking like a sieve.

Also:
    Your starter motor may be really dirty inside, preventing full electrical contact: been-there, done-that.

I would NOT replace any gaskets if the leaks are relatively minor. If they are minor just seal them up with high-temp silicone - worked like a charm on my friend's GS450.

The 1980 GS450 is CDI ignition so there's no timing adjustment necessary.

Of course the gas tank must be drained.
    Soaking the carbs in gas is useless, you must disassemble the carbs and clean them meticulously (especially if they've been sitting for two years).

Comment

Thanks.

Another quick question:

Is it OK/advisable to dump a little motor oil and/or penetrationg oil into the cylinder to free things up?

Comment

Yes - when I resurrected my bike I dumped around 10ml of 2-stroke oil into each cylinder and cranked the engine by hand for 10-20 revolutions. I don't know if it was mentioned above but I'd be sure to change the oil before even thinking of starting it. Personally I'd give it a lot of time to fully drain, maybe overnight. I'd also change it again after 50 miles or so. Also keep an eye on the battery - you'll probably need a new one.

Comment

Thanks, looks like I have enough info to keep me busy for a while. I'll keep you posted with progress and other questions.

Comment

I am about to do one that has been sitting for closer to 7 years. The bike was completely drained of all fluids before being put into an underground storage garage.

Anything you guys would add to what you have said for a bike sitting as long as this or all the same stuff you just told hipster?

I hope you don't mind me thread sharing with you dood. It was the same exact question just for a longer period of time so I thought we could compile info this way.

Comment

No problem man.

FYI

I found some very good info on some of nabrams other posts.

Comment

Working...
              X