Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when you've got both wheels off, whadya do with it?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when you've got both wheels off, whadya do with it?!?!

so I will have new tires for front and rear soon, and will take them to old skool to mount for me, but does anybody have any suggestions on how to prop the bike with both wheels off?

I would think center stand, then pull the front and either set it on a block to make it even or just down on the floor? (I worry as even leaving it leaned to the side stand makes huge clouds of blue smoke, can I leave it that far forward?)

and then since the front is off, the rear should come off without any extra blocks under the center either...

thanks!!

I put it on the centerstand, and then stick a big rod underneath the front motor mount plates, the bar sort of wedges between the frame downtubes and the engine mounting plates, then I use jackstands to hold up the bar.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

When I did my big rebuild this winter I left the bike hanging from tie-down straps hooked over my garage rafters. I used two straps at the back and one at the steering head. Completely safe (it can't fall over) and very easy to get into place.

Mark

Comment

I just put the bike on the centerstand and put a short length of 2 x 6 on top of a concrete block. I then lift the front wheel with one hand and slide the block with 2 x 6 under the engine. That puts both wheels off the ground.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

My 4-1 header makes the standard methods impossible, so I put a cinder block under the left and right sides of the frame at the motor, and then shimmed it up with pieces of wood.

I did something similar at the end of the swingarm, but that was pretty unstable so I wouldn't recommend it.

Michael

Comment

cool, thanks. sounds like letting it rest on the front forks and the centerstand is less than desirable!

Comment

I got this at sears, well worth the money, and it's nice cause you can wheel it around if need be.

Comment

I just put it on the centrestand, place a block of wood under the engine (as a just-in-case), but actually prop the bike with a vertical chunk of wood from the ground to the engine, or under an exhaust pipe. There is no weight involved, as the bike is balanced, so as long as no one interferes with it while the tires are being mounted, no problem.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Re: when you've got both wheels off, whadya do with it?!?!

Originally posted by snowbeard
                  so I will have new tires for front and rear soon, and will take them to old skool to mount for me
                  Are you referring to that Hardley chop shop in Longmont? I'm surprised they're willing to work on "riceburner" wheels! How much are they charging?

Debby
                  1979 GS1000N
                  2019 Kaw Z900RS
                  plus a few more

Comment

yep chop shop. last time I did it they took me for $30 for a rear dropped off (paid less for the tire off ebay). I was thinking I'd see if they'd do two for $40 or $50, but if you know a better place I'm all ears! only place I found that would mount a tire they didn't sell, of course that one was used to boot, these are at least fresh off the shelf...

and only one of 'em would do it, the other supposedly refused (but actually was the one to do it, as brother man was out and about town, etc, but don't tell anyone I told!! )

thanks luke, but I don't think I'll be springing for the jack soon, I can barely bring myself to pay ebay prices for cheap tools that I undeniably need :roll: cinder blocks and wood chunks are free!!

Comment

Just did mine. Took some 2x4s and made a stand for the center of the frame. Then i made another for the swing arm, and then one for the forks. it was really easy. took some help getting things in place to take off and put back on.

Comment

When I have my pipe off I put the center stand on and wire it into place. I then remove the rear tire and push down on the rear of the bike and slide the 2 by 4 stand that I made to fit between the frame. This makes it easy to remove the front.

For me the pipe has to come off in order to do this.

PS. don't laugh at all the screws and lumber used for this

Comment

Originally posted by Mattman
                          Just did mine. Took some 2x4s and made a stand for the center of the frame. Then i made another for the swing arm, and then one for the forks. it was really easy. took some help getting things in place to take off and put back on.
                          What he said

Comment

I use a front end lift.It goes into the steering head and lets you work up front and not worry about it falling.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Corrie
                              I use a front end lift.It goes into the steering head and lets you work up front and not worry about it falling.
                              I borrowed one once and they do rock!!!!!
                              I'd like to get one, one more thing on the list

Comment

Working...
                              X