No announcement yet.

yet another petcock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't be hasty to buy new new new. i bought a new petcock from bike bandit (vacuum not gravity even though the pictures showed gravity) and had the carbs totally rebuilt, and guess what gas in the crankcase after two days. The solution an 8 dollar kit from the Lowe's lawnmower section with an inline cut off and 2 feet of fuel line. A little experimentation with an awl to open the hole a little on both ends and viola no gas can get through when not running.

Comment

run down to your local tractor supply store and get a ball valve for 3/8 inch line and two 3/8 inch barbs.

Comment

the only problem is where to fit the valve in.. not much room there and tough to get your fingers in... I did pick up a shutoff valve and installed it, but it is hard to get to

Comment

Re: tap switch

[quote="feelergaugephil"]about 24" of excellant fuel line. (24" is too long, but they only sell it in 12")
          and fuel line is $3.
          quote]

Phil,
          What kind of fuel line do you recomend? I have clear, but it is getting old and hard.
          Thanks,
          Charlie

Comment

It's blue but you can see through it too.
            If you cant get some let me know and I will get it, as my local bike shop is less than a minute away.

Comment

Originally posted by feelergaugephil
              It's blue but you can see through it too.
              If you cant get some let me know and I will get it, as my local bike shop is less than a minute away.
              Thanks Phil,
              I will look around and see what I can find. I don't recall seeing any blue see through fuel line before. Good find.

While we are on the subject of petcocks. My OEM vacumn petcock went bad about a year ago. My bike was in my buddies shop for some barter work. And he ordered and installed a rebuild kit for the petcock. Later, months down the road. I switched to reserve: No gas. Had to keep stopping and leaning the bike over on prime to limp to the next gas station. Since then by buddy that did the work went out of business ( got screwed on all that barter work, but that is another tale ).

Anyway,
              What's the chance of me pulling it back apart and fingering out where my reserve went? Or do I just continue to run on the main supply.

Thanks,
              Charlie

Comment

Ok, here's what I have found:- When I rebuilt my bike (engine) the petcock leaked overnight, When I came to start it the next day, I got a fuel lock, which can bend the conrod and other damage.
                So I bought a new fuel petcock seal kit.
                The next day, it happend again which included filling the crancases up (again)
                So, now i have put an inline fuel tap (approx $15) which is positioned above the left outer carb which gives me easy access to turn it on/off.
                It works perfect and if I leave it in the off position it WILL NOT LEAK, and, if I turn it off while I am riding the engine will run for about a mile or so then begin to cut out. So it works.
                Safest way to go is put a in line tap on your bike, fuel will not get into the engine and you know that when you come to start it, it wont have fuel in the motor.
                I really would'nt bother attempting to rebuild the petcock seal, or even try to stretch the spring out, go with the in line fuel tap.
                Like I said to you before, if you cant get one let me know and I will get you the line and tap if you cant locate one.

Comment

Originally posted by GS700Jim
                  I know this is probably getting to be a redundant post but it just did it to me too!! I rebuilt the petcock last sunday, didn't ride all week cuz of rain... start it up today and it was running rich, checked the oil for haha's and.. DAMN Gas in the oil AGAIN... I'm not convinced the rebuild kit helped at all... before it was the reserve not working.. so either I put it in bad or parts are too far gone Help I want to ride SUNDAY!!
                  Same problem I had with the rebuild kit/diaphram & Gasket.

I chucked the whole unstable mess and got a Pingle.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by GS700Jim
                    I know this is probably getting to be a redundant post but it just did it to me too!! I rebuilt the petcock last sunday, didn't ride all week cuz of rain... start it up today and it was running rich, checked the oil for haha's and.. DAMN Gas in the oil AGAIN... I'm not convinced the rebuild kit helped at all... before it was the reserve not working.. so either I put it in bad or parts are too far gone where can I get a good picture of the breakdown of the petcock so I can make sure I put it back together again... the kit had no instructions... Help I want to ride SUNDAY!!
                    Well I just put my K&L rebuild kit, OEM petcock back on my POR 15 sealed tank!! And here is what it does, 1) VERY stiff turning knob even with small screws backed WAY off?? 2) It flows GREAT with the knob on Prime, but on the ON position or Reserve it still TRICKLES/ DRIPS OUT the hose!!! Is this going to fill my crankcase like the otheres that posted here!!! Or at a drip once the bowls are filled should it stop?? :roll: I did this TEST run with the tank on the bike BUT THE VACUUM HOSE NOT CONNECTED. Would that make a diff??

Comment

INLINE FUEL STOP SWITCH

Comment

Keith Krause tipped me to a possible fix on stock vacuum petcocks in another post - re & re the o-ring that seals the fuel outlet when vacuum isn't present. Tried it today and no leaks. Cost= 19 cents and the gas to go to the parts store. Thanks, Keith!!

Comment

earlfor, apologies for the erroneous credit, you're the man with the fix. Although KK might have figured this one out as well. :roll: :roll:

Comment

Working...
                          X