half moon seals: one fell in :((

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

half moon seals: one fell in :((

After replacing the cover gasket, started the engine and heard a thug. Still running on all fours, no smoke, I killed the engine (massive oil leak)

A half moon seal at the top of the head "fell in" ugh It's a bit chewed up so I think it hit something.

Cam lobe looks nice and valve looks nice and smooth. What do you think, is there engine damage?

Not a nice way to start a season 8O

Not likely to be any damage, given that the plugs are rubber. It probably got chewed up by the cam lobe beating it against the valve shim and the cam cover.

I'm surprised that it fell into the head though, as they have a little ridge on the outer edge that sits against the head to keep it from going in.

I used a bit of 515 Gasket Eliminator on the edge of the plugs to help hold them in place when I rebuilt my top end.

~400km later they are still there.

Comment

get a new one, and silicone it in (not too much or itll squish into the engine)

Comment

Yep...ditto Poots answer...
        EULC ON

Comment

Thanks, you guys rock

Still worried that I may have fudged a valve. My friend dropped an injector o-ring in a car engine once (through the spark plug hole) and it caused a valve to get mis-aligned (thus valve was not closing). Any chance that I may have done similar and damaged the valve?

Can I re-use the new cover gasket ( I took it off )

Comment

Originally posted by volks28
            Thanks, you guys rock

Still worried that I may have fudged a valve. My friend dropped an injector o-ring in a car engine once (through the spark plug hole) and it caused a valve to get mis-aligned (thus valve was not closing). Any chance that I may have done similar and damaged the valve?

Can I re-use the new cover gasket ( I took it off )
            Nothing really for the plug to damage on that end of the valve, unless it got ground into really tiny pieces that were able to somehow get between the bucket and the shaft and work down to where the valve springs are, and then somehow get into the valve seal and create a leak.

not likely to happen though

regarding the gasket, if you didn't have the engine back together for very long, then yes, you can reuse the gasket, just as long as you didn't damage it when you took things apart again, or the spot where the plug fell out didn't get damaged.

Comment

Working...
            X