Frankenbike (GS4-something) spark plug question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankenbike (GS4-something) spark plug question

I have very recently acquired a very strange motorcycle, that I can positively say was constructed from at least three different GS models (GS450L trim and wheels, yoke, GS450T frame, GS400-something drivetrain). I noticed that the bike had NGK D8EA plugs on it, and as far as I can tell the GS400 has DR8ES-L specced for it. Is this an issue, or can I get away with them?

By the way, this is my first post to these forums, and this is my first motorcycle. Sorry if I've already violated five or so forum rules ... berate where appropriate. I'll probably post a lot more too, because this bike is a nightmare, but after about two weeks of fiddling I finally got it to move under its own power (and quite like the sound of it).

If the engine's cam caps are rectangular the engine is a GS400E. I am guessing that it is, I think the older engines used B sparkplugs instead of D plugs. I've never had any luck finding the plugs listed in the manual so I am using the same ones you found with no problem.

Steve

Comment

We have rules now? Crap I missed the boat on that one! Just to let you know my 1100 is using the same plugs as yours. The best thing to do, if you're sure of the engine displacement/type, is find the closest Suzi store and see what they tell you is needed.

Brad tt

Comment

Spark plug size

Hey there guys,

I have a gs 400L with the same plugs mentioned. My brother (who gave me the bike) has a 14mm COlortune which I was prepared to put in and use las tweek, however I couldn;t get the colortune plug in the cylinder.

ANyone sure of size and thread of the gs400 as I don;t want to damage the thread.

Also, I haven't looked yet nut wher are you guys h=getthing those NGK plugs at a general auto parts store or at a bike shop?

Thanks

JB

Comment

I bought my NGK plugs at my local G.I. Joe's...$1.69 each.

Comment

Working...
          X