Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak Spark

Greets;

I was working on the '78 GS550E today and finally got around to checking the spark quality...weak yellow/orange spark. What is the first course of action? Points and condensers? New plugs? The previous owner appears to have stripped the head on one of the point adjusting screws...do new sets of points come with the screws? I'll bet that a big fat blue spark will solve all of my problems.

Charles

Re: Weak Spark

I would get new points and condensors. I think that will solve your spark problem. Screws dont come with new points, but you can take one of them to Home Depot, or Lowes and they will have them in the specialty nut/bolt trays. Probably cost you about 15 cents. LOL

You can get points and condensors at cyclecrecycle.
    CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

Earl

Originally posted by chazglenn3
    Greets;

I was working on the '78 GS550E today and finally got around to checking the spark quality...weak yellow/orange spark. What is the first course of action? Points and condensers? New plugs? The previous owner appears to have stripped the head on one of the point adjusting screws...do new sets of points come with the screws? I'll bet that a big fat blue spark will solve all of my problems.

Charles
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, Earl. I will do that!

Charles

Comment

Okay, I put in new points and new condensers and 4 brand new properly gapped NGK plugs. Get a nice blue spark on #1 and #4, but nothing on #2 and #3. I checked and re-checked the point gaps. The wiring to the coil looks fine also. I put it together and started it up...pipes 2 and 3 stayed cold. Suggestions?

Charles

Comment

Recheck your condenser connection on the points You could have grounded that set. With the ign on you should be able to manually open the points & see a small ark

Comment

Will do...thanks!

Comment

Bingo, SqDancer! The condersor wire was grounded against the breaker plate. I have 4 hot pipes now! Thanks! I love this forum

Charles

Comment

Working...
              X