high idle and backfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high idle and backfire

Just getting to know my GS450. Today, as i was taking it out for a spin, it started to idle high (5000rpm-) and even in first gear, at a closed throttle, at a light. when i kill the engine, there's backfire.

I just got it back from the shop so everything should be cleaned.
    thanks for the help.

Sounds like an air leak. Look at your intake manifolds, I bet they're either cracked or someone didn't tighten the clamps down.
    Axel

Comment

Throttle cable good and free? Idle change when turning from side to side? Bob

Comment

turns out that the symptoms don't happen all the time. So far it happens after the bike is running for a while, after 1/2hr (?).

Comment

Take it back to the shop...that's an option too.

Comment

Hey I got a GS450 too and it does the exact same thing. I cleaned the carbs and it helped a little, but still does it to some extent. I adjusted the choke a little and it helped. Your idle might need a little adjustment after it gets warmed up. I have to fiddle with the choke and idle untill it runs happy. Oh yeah and mine backfires too! hehe

Goodluck.

Comment

Me too...

My GS450L used to idle high when warm. Seems that after tweaking the throttle cable and idle adjust screw I have fixed the problem. Just make sure that all your adjustments (including mixture) are made after the bike is really warm. Just my .02.

Question for you guys? Where to get me a 2 into 1 black exhaust system??

Comment

Working...
              X