Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chciagoland GS Biker Gang - (lol)

Hello All,

I have been reading up on a lot of posts lately. I admit, I am a newbie. I bought my first 81'GS550 L last fall. I am working on the carbs as I speak.
    The bike was running but ran into normal issues from the mis-care of the bike from the previous owner. I am still trying to get over the "I am afraid I might cause more damage because I don't know what I am doing thing? but I am taking the initiative to learn. (I have always wanted to learn to work on bikes and cars, bikes are a better option for me right now)

I see that Steve (Planecrazy) and JoeNardy (I hope I got that right) are from the Chicagoland area. I live just north of Steve of Round Lake, IL.
    Just wanted to say HI and thank everyone for the great web site.

PS
    As a last ditch effort (and a just in case) , does anyone know of someone who rebuilds carbs on the side? I don't want to go a dealer if I don't have to or I would be willing to work along someone to learn for myself.

Thanks,
    Sean

I'm assuming you've found the carb rebuild article, right? that looks like it will help with the initial reconstruction, and then you can come back for jetting or synching etc.

welcome to the forum, and good luck! these are great bikes to work on!

Comment

Yup, I found the cleanup series. I have it printed and on my workbench. I have tried a few other tips from the forum as well. My biggest hurdle is trying to get the screws of the carbs without stipping them.

I think I need to buy a better screw driver set.
      Does WD40 work on loosening them or am I causing more problems.

Comment

Hi Sean!

A number of the Chicago guys have rebuilt their carbs (not me, yet) and I'm sure if you run into trouble there's plenty of help nearby. Send me an IM with your email address and I'll get you on to our local email thread.

Regards,
        Steve 8)

Comment

Those Chicago guys are trouble, you should avoid them!!!

Actually, I invited most of them to my wedding in October.

I have only one 'GS buddy' down here in NC now, he just started working here with me...so I miss the garage sessions we had at Joe's in the winter. I been doing it myself...but there's no one to call my bike ratty...

There's an email list that goes around occasionally with everyone from Chicagoland area on it.

Comment

In order to learn to work on bikes, you need a bike to learn on. Congratulations on a good first step.

I'm from Orange County, but Chicago's my hometown away from home. Going to the Blues festival this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Razor
              My biggest hurdle is trying to get the screws of the carbs without stipping them.

I think I need to buy a better screw driver set.
              Does WD40 work on loosening them or am I causing more problems.
              Use PB Blaster....None Better. WD-40 just plain sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Merkel
                Going to the Blues festival this year?
                Merk, funny you mention Blues fest. I am going to try to go. I am a chairman for the festival for my town in Round Lake, IL. Today I booked my headliner act..... (drum roll please) Chicago Blues legend. ..... Lonnie Brooks. Deluxary, a Chicago blues rock band from the Fox Valley area, will open for Lonnie.

Mark you calendars..... June 18th (day before Fathers Day). FREE SHOW!

This will be outside at Cedar Lake rd and Rt 134 near the train station in downtown Round Lake! Here is a link.....

Maybe I will have a special GS parking lot if I get enough requests. We are also having a classic car show! More details to come!

Sean

Comment

Heya Sean! Get to Harbor Freight and pick up an impact screw driver set. Depending on if there's a sale, the set runs $3-$7. It will be a headache saver.

Brad tt

Comment

if you have any carb questions feel free to email me or stop by i can help get those carbs working great. i'm in the pilsen area of chicago

-ryan
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks Ryan....

I am going to start a new post because I am really lost on my carb set up.

Sean

Comment

What the heck is it with all the 550's in chicago.
                        80GS1000E is from chicago. So is First Timer. They both have, or have had 550's. First timer's is a real hotrod. Planecrazy has a 550. Most of us have been in our carbs and are happy to help you clean them.
                        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Carbs?

Hello all, new here to the group. I see a lot of you are from Chicago, as I am as well. I also see there seems to be an issue with carbs with our bikes. I have an 83 GS550L, it will turn over, but it wont kick in. I think the carbs are gummed, but who knows. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a diagram of all the internal parts for that carb. If so, send me a response, if not, send me a response, it would be good to get to know some of you

Comment

Well... there are only two "gummable" things to worry about. Unless your choke isn't passing fuel. :-) and though I'm new at this, I've never seen a cloged choke circut.

When you take the float bowls off the bottom, there are two tubes pointing at you. go and spend $10 on a screwdriver set... so you have the right size screwdrivers. In those two tubes, you will see two brass, flatheaded screws. Both have holes in them. Unscrew the big one, I tend to soak them in carb cleaner :-) Though there are all sorts of ways of actually cleaning them out. Same for the smaller pilot jets. I will also blow them out using carb cleaner.

if you need more information... search the web for mikuni carb cleaning. Or just carb cleaning in general.

Or... we could possiably arrange for a visit from motorcycle gnomes....
                            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

2 things...

#1.. Glad I made it out in time to catch up with the Chicago GS guys.... I am hoping next time I will have a bike underneath me......

#2.. I think I found the carb issue..... 1) one of the diaphragms was placed in wrong, 2) 2 of the filters was some what gummed up 3) some of the screws was loose and could have caused a vacuum leak.

I am waiting on a new air filter and will be buying some new clamps so hopefully I should have a new report next week about this time!

Sean

Comment

Working...
                              X