Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped oil drain plug hole

Hi,

I recently purchased a '78 GS750 and have gleaned a lot of useful info from this site. Thanks!

This past weekend I went to do her first oil change and the drain bolt hole stripped. (Whether from my own ham-handedness or from almost 30 years of previous oil changes, I don't know.) The bolt will still thread in, but I can't put any real torque on it or it slips.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and can recommend a simple but reliable fix. Solutions seem to range from getting a larger, self-tapping bolt, to inserting a helicoil, to getting an expanding rubber plug. I'm wondering if maybe I can even chase the existing threads.

Also helpful would be if anybody knows the exact bolt size and thread pitch of this drain bolt. I could not seem to match the threads at the local hardware store, and the threads on this one seem less than perfect.

Thanks!

If nothing else seems to work for you then try Ebay, I found an oil pan complete with drain plug for $20.00 to my door.

Scud

Comment

I used a rubber plug for about 10k miles on my bike. Not even expandable, just a simple rubber stopper. I guess many auto parts stores sell 'em as a temp fix, but it never leaked a bit on me. I had it helicoiled a few years ago just becasue.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I had mine strip also. I took the whole oil plate down to the local machine shop & had it drilled and tapped for a 16mm plug. In hindsight, I'd take it to an automotive machine shop and have a Helicoil put in.

Comment

Originally posted by Scud
          If nothing else seems to work for you then try Ebay, I found an oil pan complete with drain plug for $20.00 to my door.

Scud
          I got a complete pan and plug for $20.oo also at the local motorcycle salvage yard.

Comment

Just for the record,the Billy Rick's tip for the oversize self-tapping plug works great !

I have done this on 2 of my bikes with no problem, a low buck fix no more complicated than changing your oil, thanks again Billy.

(don't ask how I am sooo' luckly to have 2 stripped plugs)

Comment

Mine also stripped last year and I put in a selftapping oversized plug...
              (with a modification ). I drilled and tapped the center of the new plug with a straight thread (don't recall what thread size, the largest I could fit) Then I put in a bolt with a copper washer and remove that when it's time to change oil. With the smaller hole it takes a little longer to drain the oil but I don't have to risk stripping the pan hole again.

Comment

I put a small bead of Red RV silicone on one once, just a dab around the head of the bolt and did not leak the whole 1.5 yrs till I had it heli-coiled.

Comment

Here's how I fixed mine.

Stainless steel plate and a few screws, done. My ADHD really kicked in the day I thought of this one. :-)

Kim

Comment

Had the same thing happen to me when I first got my 82 1100E from original owner. On the first oil change, the threads came right out with the plug.

Took oil pan off and into M/C shop, they put heli-coil in, been great ever since.

I wonder if AntiSeize compound would've helped it over the years.

Comment

I had the same problem. Bought a spark plug repair kit at Autozone. Came with the proper size tap and a replacement thread insert. Not as good as a heli-coil, but the whole kit was about $14. My autoparts store didn't have the oversized self tapping plugs.

Comment

Working...
                      X