this is probably an easy one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is probably an easy one

so i bought this GS700E for 600 bucks with 9,000 miles on it. the chain was too tight, and it needed a headlight bulb. easy stuff. been running great for 1,000 miles. i just lube the chain, change the oil and it's reliable as hell. yesterday, i went to start it, and it began turning over as usual, in colder weather it takes a couple tries... on the third try, it just stopped. the battery's fine. it just clicks. i'm trying to isolate the problem, look for bad connections/fried components. any ideas?

xoxo

First thing I would try is the starter button itself. Sometimes it gets nasty in there and blocks current. Pull it apart and clean it off.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

sweet

i'll give that a go first.

thanks

jonah

Comment

okay, that didn't do anything...any other ideas?

jonah

Comment

Are you sure the battery's fully charged and providing enough current at the starter to kick over the motor?

Comment

i'm pretty sure. usually you can tell when the battery is dying. but i'll try a pop-start or a jump start and get back on here...

sweet, thanks so much

jonah

Comment

That or use another known good battery if you have one and get this one completely out of the circuit.

Comment

You said it makes a "clicking" sound. I am still learning myself. Could it be the starter? (not start button) I would also look at the points.

My 2 cents,
                Sean

Comment

Try jumping across the solenoid (sp) to see if the starter will turn if not then it is the starter itself, if you have a fully charged battery. The starters in these bikes use brushes that have to be replaced every once in a while. The more you use the starter the faster they ware the brushes out. If it is the solenolid several of the guys have gotten lawnmower ones to work that can be bought for a lot less then the Suzuki part. Hope this helps you.

Comment

I would guess that at least 90% of the time the clicking sound is due to a faulty solenoid.

A simple test is to place a voltmeter on the starter cable side of the solenoid and the other on the frame. Touch the starter button and see if you get a reading. If no, you have a solenoid problem....replace it. If you don't have a voltmeter, buy one...you will be needing it at some time, and it is best to have it handy when needed. Buy a digital one, simply because it is easier to read, but also because it is more accurate than a sweep-hand type on low end readings.

Also if not....use an in-line lamp. It will light up if the solenoid connects, but will not if it fails.

If yes, go back and check that you have a good, clean ground from the battery to the frame, then look at the wire leading to the starter, and then the starter itself.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                    X