Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing forks...need tips and advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing forks...need tips and advice please.

Good afternoon,

Rather than pay 300 dollars to have my fork seals replaced in order to pass inspection, I have opted to just replace the forks with another set of 1981 GS750L forks off of ebay. If the fork seals on those are bad (contrary to the advertisement) I can just pay the 100 dollars to get the
    fork seals changed on the stock forks once they are out of the triple trees.

Does anyone have any tips on getting the old forktubes out and putting the new ones in.

I figure if I lube the new ones, they should slide right into the triple trees right?

Dm of mD

I guess I'm not following - why not change the seals on your existing forks yourself?

Comment

They usually slide out without too much problem. You may have to use a pulling/twisting motion and if they are being really stubborn, you may have to GENTLY pry the clamps apart a little bit.

Comment

1. To get the allen bolt at bottom out at the bottom of the fork, sometimes it is easier to crack them loose before removing from triple trees

2. Clean up burrs on forks with emery cloth before putting new seals on the tubes or the burrs may nick the new seals. Use emery cloth in a motion going around the leg. Never use emery cloth in an up and down motion to clean up burrs, as it creates a path for oil to leak past the seal .

Comment

Do not let the headlight arms pop out of the triple trees when you have the fork tubes out. I went bananas trying to get those things back together without splitting the triple trees. The rest of the job is simple, put a jack under the engine, remove the wheel, remove the fender, loosen the fork tubes, pull them out. Buy a new speedo cable guide for the fender while you are at it. Reusing the old one will be futile. :x

Steve

Comment

Interesting - I pulled my headlight arms to try to straighten them and didn't have a problem putting them back in. I'm wondering if it's a different design? On a related note - anybody have some extra STRAIGHT arms? Mine are definitely not straight and are causing the windshield to sit a bit cocked to one side.

Comment

That's the same reason I pulled mine, to straighten and paint them. On the end of each arm there is two metal washers and two rubber grommets. Getting all 5 pieces in there without having the grommets getting in the way of the fork tubes is more than I can handle.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
                I guess I'm not following - why not change the seals on your existing forks yourself?
                1. I just got married.
                2. I live 1.5 hours from where I work.
                3. I don't have the time.
                4. I don't have the patience.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by srivett2
                  Do not let the headlight arms pop out of the triple trees when you have the fork tubes out. I went bananas trying to get those things back together without splitting the triple trees. The rest of the job is simple, put a jack under the engine, remove the wheel, remove the fender, loosen the fork tubes, pull them out. Buy a new speedo cable guide for the fender while you are at it. Reusing the old one will be futile. :x

Steve

Kewl, thank you Steve. I'll take the wheel off today after I get home before my wife gets home. If I do this in stages I can get it done over a week.

Dm of mD

Comment

Also, could I use 1980 Suzuki GS 1000G forks on my bike?
                    The gs100G shocks are 37mm in diameter but I don't know the measurement of the ones on my 1981 GS750L...

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                    X