The lone white plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lone white plug

Numbers 2, 3, and 4 spark plugs are as tan and perfect as they can be, number 1 is white. What do ya think, float level??

1980 GS750E

Scud

If you have not messed with the carbs, then No.

Comment

Re: The lone white plug

intake boot airleak.

Earl

Originally posted by Scud
      Numbers 2, 3, and 4 spark plugs are as tan and perfect as they can be, number 1 is white. What do ya think, float level??

1980 GS750E

Scud
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl,

I will look at that, my particular carbs do not have the 'o-ring' that plaques models earlier then mine. I will look at it and see if maybe somethin is 'folded over' and 'causin a problem' with the boot from carb to engine. I'll get back to you.

Scuddly doright

Comment

A leaking boot on either side of the carb can cause your problem. The problem is usually worse if its on the boot on the engine side. If all of a sudden youre runnig lean on one carb, I doubt the float bowl fuel level has changed. Usually, its an air leak. If not an air leak, I would check carb synch to see what the vacuum difference is on that carb.

Earl

Originally posted by Scud
          Earl,

I will look at that, my particular carbs do not have the 'o-ring' that plaques models earlier then mine. I will look at it and see if maybe somethin is 'folded over' and 'causin a problem' with the boot from carb to engine. I'll get back to you.

Scuddly doright
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'll check it first thing tomorrow, I to thought it strange when all the others were running right. I did try to bring it up to speed by messing with the mixture screw, so a synch would benefit all the carbs now I am sure..

I will post the vacuum specs when I complete the synch.

As usual, thank you.

Scud

Comment

propflux,

I did do a dip and checked the float levels with a micrometer when re-assembling. Funny thing is that last year during the summer months (more heat), all plugs were fine, when I took her out for a ride about a month ago (20 degrees), then checked the plugs all were a little lighter in color. Guess the colder air has something to do with it, but now number 1 is white and all others are perfect....hmmm... :?

Scud

Comment

If you recently 'cleaned' the carbs, there is a chance you loosened something up dirt-wise, and clogged a pilot jet.

Comment

Forgive me for asking the dumb question, but are we sure they are all the same rated plug and the white one isn't an oddball?

Comment

Another good point, I will look at the pilot jet circuit on that carb if the other suggestions do not work. I really do not enjoy wrestling the carbs in and out, although I do have it down to three minutes getting them back in.

Thanks Propflux01

Not a dumb question at all, in fact a legitimat one. They are in fact all NGKD8EA plugs, I never thought that one might be an ugly duckling, I will swap it out after I check the boot.

Thanks Mopolopo

Scud

Comment

Also, if you by chance synchronised the carbs, maybe check to see if the sync screw came out or does not have the gasket on it. Located on the side of the intake boot (between carb and engine).

Comment

Roger that , I will look closely and see if that is the case.

Scud

Comment

Working...
                        X