oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil question

do u guys use regular motor oil or do u use specified motorcycle motor oil?

a guy i know had a bike he said he just used normal car oil, and a shop i called to get some parts prices said that it dosnt have the right additives and will froth in the trans.
    i duno

let me know what u guys think

cya
    brad

I use regular dino 10w-40. And change it regularly every 2000 miles. My feelings would be that the shop just wants to get you to buy their stuff. If it's no more expensive than what you'd get elsewhere, than I'd get it.

Brad tt

Comment

Yup, I likes me some plain ole' Castrol 10-40 in my scoot. Don't be using that there new fangled energy conserving oil, yer clutch might'n not grip like it should!
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Penn

I used regular, old Pennzoil 10-40 but I'm sure Castrol is very good, too. The main thing you've got to watch out for is the "conservation" symbol because it will cause your clutch to slip.

(Compare the symbol on a similar brand of 10-30 and you'll recognize the difference.) 8)
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

My clutch didn't act right on Castrol GTX. So I went back to Shell Rotella T. 15W-40.

She likes it, cheap enogh too.

Man, I sure wish I had that Popcorn eating Emoticon.

Comment

I went with 20w-50 on the 750 once. It worked well, but when the weather was still cold it took about 5-10 minutes for the engine to heat the oil enough. Up to that point the gears were real tight.

Brad tt

Comment

Interesting, I had assumed that the anti-frothing additives in the motorcycle specific oil were virtually a requirement. That and I didn't realize that car oils were compatible with the motorcycle clutch... Learn something new every day. This will save me some money!

Comment

i work at a lube shop, so once the hot summer comes, im gonna put in some auto Mobil 1 15w50 8)

got motul semi-syn 10-40 in now.

:roll:

poot

Comment

thanks for the help guys

cya
                  brad

Comment

Working...
                  X